Blades boss hopes his squad can be strengthened during January transfer window
The UK has seen a dramatic increase in the number of positive coronavirus cases in recent weeks, and several Premier League games have been called off as a result.
Tottenhammatch Fulham earlier this week the most recent fixture was postponed due to cases in the Cottagers squad, while Sheffield United’s clash with Burnley proceeded despite positive tests among Blades players and staff.
Wilder’s team was tested on Thursday and the results will be released on Friday.
While no new individuals are showing symptoms, Wilder believes that given the surge in cases in the country, he would not be surprised if the Palace game were to be postponed.
“I think the way he’s sweeping the country I wouldn’t be surprised,” Wilder said in response to whether he thought the game at Selhurst Park could be called off.
“I wouldn’t be surprised with the series of tests now that there will be more positive tests across the country in professional football and the Premier League.”
There have been request a circuit break to get the situation under control. Wilder has not given his opinion on such action, but said it would be governed by Premier League guidelines.
“It has obviously accelerated enormously and the speed of what has happened over the past eight weeks has changed the situation in the country,” he said. “As always, we’ll play with a straight bat, we’ll do what the Premier. The League wants us to do.”
Wilder’s Blades back the Premier League with two points in 16 games and are the only team in the division without a win to their name.
It’s a dire situation, but Wilder is hopeful his squad can be strengthened during the January transfer window.
“In my opinion, we need to improve the group,” he said. “It is up to the CEO and the board of directors to make their decision or pursue the goals we are looking at and the positions we are looking at.”