GABBY Petito’s memorial service on September 26 was open to the public.
The vlogger’s body was found on September 19 in Wyoming and later identified with certainty.
What happened at Gabby Petito’s funeral?
Gabby’s funeral was held Sunday, September 26, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Moloney’s Holbrook Funeral Home in Holbrook, New York.
The service was open to the public and streamed online after Gabby’s case made international news.
Gabby’s father said people should be “inspired” by his daughter at her memorial service and not be sad.
Joe Petito said he wanted people to be “inspired” by the life she embodied.
“So when you leave here today, take inspiration from what she brought to the table because the whole planet now knows this woman’s name,” he said.
“And she’s inspired a lot of women and men to do what’s best for them first. Put yourself first and do it now while you have time. I couldn’t be prouder as a that father. “
Joe also encouraged anyone wishing to go on a trip to get up and go.
“If there’s a trip you want to take, take it. Do it now while you have time. If there’s a relationship you’re in that might not be the best thing for you, leave it now, ”he said.
Read our Gabby Petito live blog for the latest news and updates …
“Gabby is the most amazing person I have ever met, so if you leave here today I ask you to be inspired by the way she has treated people,” added the father.
On the eve of Gabby’s funeral, her mother thanked supporters for their kind words about the devastating loss of her daughter.
Nicole Schmidt spoke for the first time in 12 days to thank everyone for their love and support.
“As I scroll through all the posts, my heart is full of love,” Schmidt wrote on Facebook.
“I wish I could reach out and kiss each one of you !!! Your support has been so overwhelming and we are so filled with gratitude.”
How did Gabby Petito die?
His cause of death has not yet been released; however, the initial autopsy report declared Gabby’s death a homicide.
Experts weighed in on how decomposition can pose problems in identifying the cause and time of death.
As a result, the final report can take weeks to complete.
The Sun has exclusively revealed that Gabby’s remains are to be cremated as her family prepares for a memorial to say goodbye to the young woman.
The Sun contacted Moloney Funeral Home in New York and a spokesperson revealed: “There is a memorial visit [on Sunday], this is a visit for someone who has been cremated. “
When asked if Gabby had ever been cremated, they added, “I guess so.”
How is Gabby Petito honored?
A vigil for Gabby was held in Florida and Long Island on Friday, September 24.
Another vigil had taken place in Salt Lake City two days earlier, Wednesday, September 22.
Gabby’s family and friends have posted tributes on social media.
Her stepfather, James Schmidt, left a cross made of stones and a bouquet of flowers during a visit to the Wyoming campsite where her body was found over the weekend.
In lieu of flowers, Gabby’s family asks for donations from the future Gabby Petito Foundation.
Lawyer Richard Stafford says donations can be made electronically at: https://Johnnymacfoundation.org.
Gabby’s dad tweeted about the service and said, “Thank you all for your support and love.”
Gabby Petito timeline
Gabby Petito, 22, was last seen on August 24, leaving a Utah hotel. Here is a timeline of Gabby Petito’s disappearance:
- June 2021 – Gabby Petito and her fiancé Brian Laundrie have embarked on a journey through the United States.
- 4th July – Gabby posts pictures of herself barefoot in Gove County, Kansas.
- July 8 – Gabby posts photos of herself in Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado.
- July 18 – Gabby and Brian post photos of themselves in Zion National Park, Utah.
- August 12 – Body camera footage was released in September showing an encounter Brian and Gabby had with police in Utah. Police confirmed that no serious injuries had been reported.
- August 19 – Gabby and Brian are posting a video on their YouTube channel about their trip. The video receives over 200,000 views.
- 24 august – Gabby is seen leaving a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- August 25 – Gabby Facetime her mother, Nichole Schmidt, for the last time. In a subsequent police report, Schmidt said her conversations with her daughter revealed “growing tension” between her and Brian.
- 25 august – Gabby also posts her latest Instagram. No location is indicated.
- August 27 – Gabby is seen for what is believed to be the last time. Witnesses claim to see Brian in an explosive argument with restaurant staff in Jackson Hole, leaving Gabby in tears.
- August 27 – Four hours later, travel bloggers driving through Grand Teton National Park pass the couple’s “abandoned” van on a dirt road.
- September 1st – Brian goes home to Florida without Gabby.
- September 11th – Gabby’s parents report her disappearance to Suffolk County Police.
- September 14 – Brian’s family release a statement saying he has retained a lawyer and will not cooperate with investigators.
- September 14 – Brian was reportedly last seen by his family. He reportedly told them he was going to hike the Cartlon Preserve but did not return.
- September 15th – North Port Florida Police say Brian is a person of interest in the case. He is not charged with any crime.
- September 16 – Utah Police are releasing body camera footage of the police encounter with Brian and Gabby.
- September 17 – Brian’s parents say they haven’t seen their son for a few days and report his missing.
- September 18 – Police say they were looking for Brian on the Carlton reservation in Florida. The police say they haven’t found anything.
- September 19 – Wyoming officials say they found a body in Grand Teton National Park. The FBI announces that the body is Gabby’s, but a full forensic identification must first be completed to confirm.
- September 20 – Police execute a search warrant at Laundrie’s home, seizing his silver Mustang and a hard drive that may contain “evidence relevant to proving a crime has been committed.”
- September 21 – Authorities say they will perform an autopsy on the remains found in Wyoming to confirm whether or not they belong to Gabby. Police have also resumed their search for the laundromat, this time on the Venice side of the Carlton reserve.
- September 21 – The FBI announced that the body found in Wyoming was Gabby’s. The cause of death has not yet been revealed.
- September 21 – The Teton County Coroner’s Office said Gabby’s official cause of death was still pending, but the original mode of death was homicide.
- September 22 – Police continue to search the Carlton reservation for a trace of Laundrie, but give no leads. A team of specialized divers is called in to help with the hunt.
- 23 september – Authorities have announced that a federal arrest warrant has been issued for Brian.
- September 24 – Gabby’s father has announced his daughter’s funeral will be on Sunday, September 26.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for the US Sun team?
the-sun : What happened at Gabby Petito’s funeral?