Finland’s Kalle Rovanperä (Toyota), 20, won the Acropolis Rally, 9th round of the World Championship (WRC) on Sunday, ahead of two world champions, Ott Tänak (Hyundai), crowned in 2019, and Sébastien Ogier (Toyota).
Finland’s Kalle Rovanperä (Toyota), 20, won the Acropolis Rally, 9th round of the World Championship (WRC) on Sunday, ahead of two world champions, Ott Tänak (Hyundai), crowned in 2019, and Sébastien Ogier (Toyota), more than ever in search of an 8th crown.
The Estonian and the Frenchman were never able to seek or even threaten Rovanperä this weekend. Evolving a notch above, the young “Flying Finn” finished in style with the best time in the Power Stage (SS15), which allowed him to collect five bonus points.
Sébastien Ogier, in search of an 8th world title, remains at the head of the championship, with 180 points in nine rallies. He increased his lead in Greece over Elfyn Evans (136), Thierry Neuville (130) and Rovanperä (129) who will start the next round, in October in Finland, on his 21st birthday. “I was not very comfortable coming here, but I saw that it was going well and I attacked more and more. I really have to thank the team. I hope I’ll be as quick in Finland, ”said the hero of the day after signing his 8th and final scratch time of the weekend.
“We never thought we would win here, we hoped for one or two places on the podium, that’s all. Kalle has continued to improve this year, as a rider and as a man. It was a solid performance from the whole team. I am very proud of all my drivers, ”reacted Toyota’s team principal, ex-driver Jari-Matti Latvala.
Final classification of the Acropolis rally after SS15 on Sunday:
1. Kalle Rovanperä-Jonne Halttunen (FIN / Toyota Yaris) 3:28: 24.6
2. Ott Tänak-Martin Järveoja (EST / Hyundai i20) at 42.1
3. Sébastien Ogier-Julien Ingrassia (FRA / Toyota Yaris) at 1: 11.3
4. Dani Sordo-Candido Carrera (ESP / Hyundai i20) at 3: 01.0
5. Gus Greensmith-Chris Patterson (GBR-IRL / Ford Fiesta) at 5: 45.0
6. Elfyn Evans-Scott Martin (GBR / Toyota Yaris) at 6: 42.7
7. Adrien Fourmaux-Renaud Jamoul (FRA-BEL / Ford Fiesta) at 6: 54.4
8. Thierry Neuville-Martijn Wydaeghe (BEL / Hyundai i20) at 8: 41.1
9. Andreas Mikkelsen-Elliott Edmondson (NOR-GBR / Skoda Fabia) at 9: 02.5 (1st category WRC2)
11. Yohan Rossel-Alexandre Coria (FRA / Citroën C3) at 10: 50.8 (1st category WRC3)
Best times in the special stages:
Rovanperä 8 (ES3, ES4, ES7 to ES10, ES13, ES15), Tänak 4 (ES2, ES6, ES12, ES14), Ogier 3 (ES1, ES5, ES11)
Power Stage ranking (SS15):
1. Rovanperä 5 pts
2. Evans 4 pts
3. Ogier 3 pts
4. Neuville 2 pts
5. Tänak 1 pt