WASHINGTON (Sputnik) – Even though Ukrainian forces were behind the attack on the Elenovka detention center housing Ukrainian prisoners of war in the Donbass, “they had no intention of doing this” , a senior US Department of Defense official said on Friday.
“If it was a Ukrainian strike, I promise you, number one, they didn’t want to do that. They certainly care about their own people, and they care about civilians and military, their own military,” the official said at a press briefing.
The official said that while the Russian military presented ammunition for the US-supplied High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS), which Moscow said was used to bombard the detention center , this does not necessarily mean that Ukraine is the only one. to blame since the Russian forces have a few.
Earlier on Friday, a Sputnik correspondent reported that the Elenovka detention center housing Ukrainian POWs was bombed by Ukrainian troops with HIMARS. Medical personnel and Emergencies Ministry troops are currently working at the site.
The correspondent reported that some of the wreckage contained HIMARS missile serial numbers.
The detention center building was nearly destroyed by fire, the correspondent reported, adding that the Ukrainian activists detained there were almost entirely burned, with their bodies still lying at the site.
The Territorial Defense Staff of the Donetsk People’s Republic said on Friday that the death toll in the strike on the Yelenovka detention center had reached 53 people and the number of injured detainees had exceeded 130.