CAIRO — Yemen’s warring parties resumed talks on Sunday on reopening roads in Taiz and other provinces, the United Nations said, after agreeing to renew a nationwide ceasefire.
The UN mission in Yemen said delegations from the internationally recognized government and Iran-backed Houthi rebels had started their second round of direct talks in the Jordanian capital, Amman.
The mission did not provide further details.
The two sides failed to reach an agreement on lifting the rebel blockade of Taiz, Yemen’s third-largest city, during their first round of talks late last month.
The reopening of roads around Taiz and elsewhere in Yemen is part of a UN-brokered truce in early April. It was the first nationwide ceasefire in six years in Yemen’s violent conflict, now in its eighth year.
Since March 2016, the Houthis have imposed a siege on the government city of Taiz, the capital of the province of the same name.
The two sides agreed on Thursday to extend the truce for more than two months after concerted pressure from the UN and international aid groups.
Yemen’s civil war erupted in 2014, when the Houthis seized the capital of Sanaa and much of northern Yemen and forced the government into exile. The Saudi-led coalition went to war in early 2015 in an attempt to restore the government to power.
The conflict has created one of the world’s worst humanitarian crises and killed more than 150,000 people, including more than 14,500 civilians.