While the Covid-19 epidemic had spared the Tour de France in September, the Giro, in Italy, saw two teams cut off after the revelation of several cases. The Australian team Mitchelton-Scott has indeed announced its withdrawal from the Tour of Italy, Tuesday, October 13, before the 10e stage in Lanciano, because of several cases of Covid-19 detected in members of its management.
Shortly after this surprise announcement, the Dutch team Jumbo-Visma did the same, while its leader Steven Kruijswijk, 3rd in the Tour de France 2019, was diagnosed positive for Covid-19. “Jumbo-Visma will not take the start of the 10e Giro stage this Tuesday “, the team said on Twitter without giving more details.
Over 570 tests performed
The Mitchelton-Scott formation was a little more talkative. “Given our responsibility to our riders and our staff, the peloton and the organization of the race, we have made a firm decision to withdraw from the Giro, said its chief executive, Brent Copeland, adding that “Those affected are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms”. The leader of the Australian training, the Briton Simon Yates, had already had to abandon the race on Saturday morning due to a positive test.
In addition, the International Cycling Union (UCI) published the results of the 571 tests carried out. Jumbo-Visma rider Steven Kruijswijk and one from the Sunweb team as well as six members of the support staff (four from Mitchelton-Scott, one from AG2R-La Mondiale and one from Ineos) had a result positive and must leave the Giro. Twenty teams therefore still remain in the race in this Tour of Italy which is approaching halfway and is due to end on October 25 in Milan, in Lombardy.
Our selection of articles on the coronavirus