Former President Trump has been charged with an additional count of willfully withholding national defense information and two new counts of obstruction in a superseding indictment as part of the investigation. of Special Counsel Jack Smith on his alleged poor preservation of classified documents.
“Today, a superseding indictment was returned by a grand jury in the Southern District of Florida that adds one defendant and four counts to the earlier indictment filed against Donald J. Trump and Waltine Nauta,” the Justice Department said in a statement Thursday. “The replacement indictment adds a new count charging Trump with an additional count of willfully withholding national defense information.”
THIRD PERSON CHARGED IN TRUMP DOCUMENTS CASE BY SPECIAL COUNSEL
“Carlos de Oliveira, 56, of Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, was added to the obstruction conspiracy charged in the original indictment,” the DOJ said. “The superseding indictment also charges Trump, De Oliveira and Nauta with two new counts of obstruction based on allegations that the defendants attempted to suppress surveillance video footage at the Mar-a-Lago Club at the summer 2022.”
“Finally, the replacement indictment also charges De Oliveira with making false statements and representations during a voluntary interview with the FBI on January 13, 2023,” the DOJ added. “De Oliveira was scheduled to appear at 10:30 a.m. on July 31, 2023, in Courtroom 5 of the James L. King Federal Courthouse in Miami.”
Reacting to the additional charges, a Trump campaign spokesperson told Fox News Digital that “this is nothing more than a desperate and agitated continuing attempt by the Biden Crime Family and his Department of Justice to harass President Trump and those around him.”
FLASHBACK: TRUMP SAYS MAR-A-LAGO FLORIDA HOUSE ‘UNDER ASSISE’ BY FBI AGENTS
“Crazy Jack Smith knows he has no business and is looking for a way to salvage their illegal witch hunt and get someone other than Donald Trump to run against Crooked Joe Biden,” added the spokesperson.
Smith was appointed by Attorney General Merrick Garland in November 2022 to investigate Trump’s alleged improper retention of classified records at his Mar-a-Lago House.
The Ministry of Justice had been investigate the matter after the FBI conducted an unprecedented search of his private residence in August 2022.
FLASHBACK: FBI SEIZES CLASSIFIED MAR-A-LAGO FILES DURING TRUMP RESIDENCE SEARCH
NARA told Congress in February 2022 that Trump took 15 boxes presidential records at his personal residence in Florida. NARA recovered the 15 boxes from Mar-a-Lago and “identified items marked as classified national security information within the boxes.” The case was referred to the Department of Justice by NARA.
These boxes allegedly contained “classified national security information” and official correspondence between Trump and foreign heads of state.
Classified documents were also discovered in President Biden’s office at the Penn Biden Center last year. These documents date from his tenure as Vice President under the Obama administration and his tenure in the US Senate.
At the time, Garland originally selected U.S. Attorney John Lausch to conduct a review of classified documents discovered at the Penn Biden Center. In December, more classified documents were found at Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware, but the finds were not made public until this year.
TRUMP TARGETED: A LOOK AT THE PROBES INVOLVING THE FORMER PRESIDENT; FROM STORMY DANIELS TO RUSSIA TO MAR-A-LAGO
Garland then appointed U.S. Attorney Robert Hur as special counsel to investigate Improper Retention of Biden Classified Records. Hur took over the DOJ investigation from Lausch.
The status of Hur’s investigation is unclear.
Meanwhile, classified documents were also found at the home of former Vice President Mike Pence in Indiana.
Fox News reported last month that the Justice Department has completed its investigation into the case and that Pence will not be charged.
This is a developing story. Please check for updates.