Hello and welcome to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast, where we break down the numbers behind the headlines.
This week we did something fun, different and good: a live show! Quite a few people came and asked questions, and overall it was a blast.
Danny, Natasha, and Alexis had a great time with the regular job, while Grace, Chris and Kevin made the whole operation work. We’ll probably post a bonus Q&A episode on Saturday if people are interested in Equity After Hours.
Other than that, what did we talk about in a longer-than-usual episode? Here is the recap:
- Buzzfeed goes public! Alex wrote about the news here, but the bottom line is that the media company is merging with a PSPC, buying Complex, and raising capital at the same time. We have some thoughts on this.
- Maybe the neobanks will break even? We’ve dug out some fintech news through the perspective of some recent news from the neobank market.
- MONEY raised MAJORITY for migrants in the United States, while MFast, a Vietnamese financial services application, obtained its own financing in the midst of the neobank boom.
- Alex interviewed a leading venture capitalist. So we talked about it.
- What is happening with the early stage venture capital market? This is something that we have tried to analyze. The bottom line is that the rapidly changing world of investing in startups is in the midst of a few trends that are worth understanding. Even if they are slightly contradictory.
- A16z has tripled on crypto with a new fund of $ 2.2 billion, giving it a total of $ 18.8 billion in assets under management.
- Edtech executives gathered around a memo last week.
- And then to wrap up, we went through some of our recent reports on a new fund that will invest in graduates of US military institutes, the huge new round of Figma and WaitWhat?
It’s always fun to play with our show, and thank you to everyone who came out to support us in our very first, but probably not the last, virtual live show. However, we return to regularity from Monday.
Equity drops every Monday at 7:00 a.m. PST, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 7:00 a.m. PST, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all castings.