World News

Surrey school pupil dies of bacterial infection along with another in hospital | UK News


A six-year-old pupil is believed to have died and another was being treated in hospital after an outbreak of invasive bacteria at a primary school in Surrey.

Pupils at Ashford Church of England Primary School will be in the same age group, the BBC reported, with the second child recovering in hospital.

The broadcaster quoted the UK Health Safety Agency (UKHSA) as saying the children had caught invasive group A strep infection (iGAS), also known as Strep A, which causes scarlet fever.

Students and school staff had been prescribed antibiotics.

Ruth Hutchinson, director of public health for Surrey County Council, reportedly said: ‘We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England school and we offer our heartfelt condolences to their family, loved ones friends and the whole school community. , which are in our thoughts.

UKHSA South East Health Protection Consultant Dr Claire Winslade reportedly said: ‘Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, which include high fever accompanied by severe muscle aches, pain in one area of ​​the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhea.”

People with the above symptoms should call 111 immediately.

theguardian Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button