France

Super League, Alexeï Navalny, covid-19: midday update – international news




C1: the new “Super League” opens the war of European football

“War of the rich” in European football: the creation on Monday of a “Super League”, a lucrative private competition founded by twelve dissident clubs and doomed to supplant the Champions League, sparked a general outcry among supporters and instances of the round ball. This time, hostilities are on: after decades of shaking the specter of a schism, the top leaders of the continent, Real Madrid, Liverpool or Manchester United in the lead, have finally taken the plunge. Rebel clubs claim to establish a controversial near-closed league system comparable to the North American basketball (NBA) or American football (NFL) championships. On the German side, Bayern Munich and Dortmund have clearly spoken out against the “Super League” project, said Borussia boss Hans-Joachim Watzke. “At least 2 French clubs” will be present each year in the “Super League”, according to a source close to the founding clubs. [Plus d’infos]

Sports


Russian opponent Alexey Navalny transferred to hospital

Alexeï Navalny agreed on Monday to be transferred to hospital after three weeks of hunger strike. He has been imprisoned since his return to Moscow on January 17. Washington and Brussels have again expressed their concern about his state of health. Earlier this morning, the head of diplomacy of the European Union had mentioned a rise in “tensions”. For their part, the Russian authorities consider the opponent’s state of health to be “satisfactory” and reject Western warnings. [Plus d’infos]

Alexei Navalny. (Vasily Maximov / AFP)

Covid-19: no improvement to be hoped for, according to Dominique Costagliola

The current epidemic situation in France does not “allow us to hope for a near improvement” which would justify an easing of the restrictive measures in mid-May, the epidemiologist Dominique Costagliola said on Monday on France Inter. “Whether in hospital, in intensive care or for new cases, it seems that we are on a high plateau,” said Professor Dominique Costagliola, director of research at Inserm, on France Inter. Even though the population is testing themselves less, in particular those under 19, “we have not seen a clear drop” in infections, with “more than 30,000 contaminations per day, so certainly not a situation that allows for hope for a near improvement, ”she said. According to her, an improvement is all the less likely “as primary schools will start again from April 26 and colleges and high schools the following week”, “so I do not see how we can hope for a massive drop by the end of May. taking into account what we have seen so far of the effect of the measures ”. [La crise sanitaire en direct]

French epidemiologist and biostatistician Dominique Costagliola poses during a photo session in Paris on April 7, 2021. / AFP / JOEL SAGET
The epidemiologist Dominique Costagliola. (Joël Saget / AFP)

The coronavirus section


Marie Morin invests € 7 million in a new production site

The dessert company Marie Morin, based in Quessoy (22), will invest seven million euros in a brand new production site for its chocolate mousse in the Châtelet area, in Trégueux (22). Opening expected in April 2022. “We still have strong demand and our current production tool, in Quessoy, is already working 100% for chocolate mousse,” says Bruno Morin. With the new site, we could go from 4,500 pots produced per hour to 12,000. And then, that slows down the production of desserts, which is already at 80% of its capacity, and that of yogurts at 70%. This is essential if we want to find new customers in mass distribution, hotels or even home catering ”. [Plus d’infos]

Bruno and éric Morin announced a new investment in their production tool: 7 million euros to build a production site dedicated to the manufacture of their chocolate mousse.
Bruno and Éric Morin announced a new investment in their production tool: 7 million euros to build a production site dedicated to the manufacture of their chocolate mousse. (DR)

Economy


Macron in Montpellier to defend his security strategy

By visiting a police station and then a popular district of Montpellier, Emmanuel Macron defends Monday on the ground his policy of “daily security”, considered much too timid by the right one year before the presidential election. This new offensive on the regal was launched by a long interview with the newspaper Le Figaro in which the Head of State displays his firmness, at a time when France must face, according to him “a sharp increase in violence against people “. Tackled by the management of the covid-19 crisis, he will speak for the first time on the subject since the launch in February of the “Beauvau de la sécurité” which he announced in the fall in the midst of the controversy over “Police violence”. This vast consultation should lay the foundations for an “ambitious law on programming internal security by 2022”, according to Prime Minister Jean Castex.

Support a professional editorial staff serving Brittany and Britons: subscribe from € 1 per month.

I subscribe





Source link

Back to top button