Skip to content
Steve Bannon wants contempt case documents made public

Former Donald Trump White House adviser Steve Bannon wants documents from his contempt of Congress case made public, as his lawyers petition to oppose a protection order that bars the two parties to the case to publish such evidence.

Mr Bannon surrendered to the FBI three days after a District of Columbia grand jury charged him with two counts of criminal contempt of Congress after challenging a subpoena directing him to testify before a House select committee officials investigating the January 6 attack on the United States Capitol. He pleaded not guilty.

Deputy U.S. Attorney Amanda Vaughn has previously argued the case was relatively straightforward and involved “fewer than 20” documents, most of which is correspondence between Mr. Bannon and the Jan.6 select committee.

“In our opinion, this is a very straightforward case as to whether the accused has shown up or not,” said Ms Vaughn, who was pressed for a speedy trial.

“The government gave no reason why it wanted to limit Mr. Bannon’s lawyers in their use of the documents to prepare a defense,” according to a statement from Mr. Bannon’s team provided to The Washington Post.

A petition filed by lawyers for Mr Bannon on Nov. 24 argues that a proposed protection order “would interfere” with his right to a fair trial.

“The public interest is served when the public can see that an accused is given a fair trial,” they argued.

“Members of the public must make up their own minds as to whether the US Department of Justice is committed to obtaining a just result based on all the facts,” according to a statement on behalf of Mr. Bannon and provided to The Washington Post, which first reported the last deposit.

“Mr. Bannon asked the judge to follow normal procedure and allow unhindered access and use of the documents,” the statement said.

U.S. District Court Judge Carl Nichols also rejected an attempt by Mr Bannon’s defense to delay proceedings until early 2022 and set a December 7 date for the next hearing.

Mr Bannon, who was the chief adviser to the former president during the first months of his tenure, claimed that executive privilege – a legal doctrine that protects conversations between and among a president and his advisers – prevents it having to testify about the assault. on Congress, fueled by Mr. Trump’s “stolen election” narrative in an attempt to disrupt the certification of millions of American votes.

Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson and Vice Chairman Liz Cheney said in a statement that Mr Bannon’s indictment “should send a clear message to anyone who thinks they can ignore the select committee or try to block our investigation: no one is above the law. We will not hesitate to use the tools at our disposal to obtain the information we need.

The committee issued subpoenas for several people linked to Mr Trump and on January 6, including several former white officials, including Kayleigh McEnany and Stephen Miller, as well as other prominent figures like Alex Jones and Roger Stone and far-right groups that participated in the attack, including the Oath Keepers and the Proud Boys.


The Independent Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.