Skip to content
St J’stone 0 – 0 Hamilton

Hamilton retained a hard-earned point as St Johnstone’s winless run extended to eight games in the 0-0 draw.

Hamilton could – and probably should have – been in the lead after just a minute.

Brian Easton’s long ball of defense was won in midair by David Moyo and Nathan Thomas was the quickest to respond.

He made a bee line for the box, jumping past a few home defenders to earn himself a clear view on goal. However, Zander Clark brilliantly denied the attacker with an outstretched foot.

It was a brilliant start from Accies and Moyo managed a Thomas cross in the 12th minute.

But subsequently, St Johnstone took control.

Hamilton defensemen took the bite of shots from Shaun Rooney and Callum Booth before Ali McCann had a canceled penalty claim in a foray that culminated with Booth curling just too high an effort.

Stevie May missed one of St Johnstone’s best chances at deadlock

The Saints then created their best chance in the 29th minute. David Wotherspoon’s center picked May in the clearance, but he couldn’t get enough of a header from six yards and the ball slipped past the far post.

Hamilton briefly relieved the pressure with the efforts of Andrew Winter and Thomas, but the first half again ended with the home side on the attack.

Chris Kane beat his marker with a skillful turn on the edge of the box, but his subsequent practice was too straight to seriously trouble Accies goalkeeper Kyle Gourlay.

The second period continued in much the same vein as the first, with St Johnstone pushing hard for the breakthrough and Hamilton defending vigorously.

Booth threatened twice, but the Saints back winger pierced his shot right off in the 50th minute, then saw another effort deflected onto the roof of the net seven minutes later.

Hamilton enjoyed a brief respite on time as Thomas ran from inside his own half, using his pace to break free from home defense, but he screwed his eventual shot high and wide.

McCann and May both shot wide before the Saints created a golden opportunity to clinch the three points with just six minutes remaining.

Danny McNamara’s cross was perfect for the unmarked Kane, but he glanced with his head off the target just six yards.

In an increasingly desperate finish to the Perth side, Wotherspoon then took the lead before substitute Michael O’Halloran sliced ​​his shot into the side net after Craig Conway stabbed a pass in his way around the corner of the area of ​​six meters.

What the managers said

Patron Saint of St Johnstone Callum Davidson “After Hamilton’s first chance in the opening minutes, we dominated the game and the attitude of the players was great.

“I thought we had created enough chances to win two or three games, but we didn’t take them and, in the end, we came away with a draw.

“In the first half I insisted that we didn’t hit our shots early enough, we were trying to put him in the net I think.

“But in the second half they did what I asked for and on another day we would have won the game comfortably.

“All credit goes to Hamilton, they came and stood up for their lives. They threw themselves into things and they made sure to make it as difficult as possible.

“After the race we did, sometimes you will close up shop and try to take a point to get back on track.

“But I thought the players tried to win the game, and I’ll take that all day. But that’s two points lost after the way we played.”

Hamilton Director Brian rice said: “That’s a good point for us. To come here and get a clean sheet, I’m delighted with the point.

“We defended well as a team and I think we had the best chance in the game from the first minute.

“It was a hard-working, serious and honest performance and we deserved the point.

“St Johnstone had a few good chances, but my goalie just had to make a save.

“I just asked them to come out and make sure they worked hard and they were tough to beat, and the chances would come, and I think they responded in a fantastic way.”

Source link