Jannah Theme License is not validated, Go to the theme options page to validate the license, You need a single license for each domain name.

Southampton 0-1 Newcastle: Joelinton win after double VAR controversy in Carabao Cup semi-final

The Brazilian, who also had a goal disallowed and suffered a nasty miss, secured a 1-0 victory for the Magpies by burying a low cross from substitute Alexander Isak with 17 minutes to go in the a thrilling evening at St Mary’s.

Saints believed they had quickly leveled through Newcastle academy graduate Adam Armstrong but his bundle effort was ruled out for handball following VAR interference.

Joelinton had a controversial first-half effort for an adjudged handball, as he fumed unnecessarily with the gaping goal early in the second half.

Southampton ended a frantic encounter with 10 men after defender Duje Caleta-Car was sent off four minutes from time for a second bookable offence.

The hosts had enough chances to head to the North East tier, but Nick Pope was in inspired form to stop Che Adams, on top of Armstrong’s disappointment against his boyhood side.

Newcastle have arrived on the south coast with manager Eddie Howe urging his side to go further as the club chase a first major domestic trophy since 1955.

Joe Willock was at the heart of the most promising early openings. The former Arsenal player fired miserably twice when unmarked, before sparking the contentious 39th-minute incident by bursting clear down the left and cutting inside Lyanco to force a low save from Saints keeper Gavin Bazunu.

Although Mohammed Salisu managed to block Callum Wilson’s initial follow-up effort, Joelinton hit home the resulting loose ball, only to have referee Stuart Attwell penalize him for the handball. VAR was introduced for this round of the competition but, despite serious debate over where the ball hit Joelinton, the on-field decision was not overturned.

There were then worrying scenes as Southampton winger Moussa Djenepo was sent off after a heavy collision with goalkeeper Pope, to be replaced by Armstrong.

Joelinton somehow fired in the 53rd minute after Almiron’s brace with Sean Longstaff on the right, before Sven Botman hit the side netting from a harder open a minute later.

Pope has recorded nine straight clean sheets after conceding here in a 4-1 win just under three months ago. The England goalkeeper underlined his international credentials by turning down Adams twice, the first time after the Saints substitute was sacked by Alcaraz, before Newcastle took the lead.

Swedish striker Isak escaped from Lyanco on the right and delivered a perfect low cross for Joelinton to finally put his name on the scoresheet.

The sold-out Newcastle final were still reveling in the prospect of a first Wembley Cup final since 1999, when Southampton thought they had equalized. Armstrong finished awkwardly after Samuel Edozie turned the ball towards goal, but the joy was cut short by Stockley Park.

The spirits then threatened to overflow in the final stages. A rapprochement between Bruno Guimaraes and Lyanco sparked a mass brawl, before Caleta-Car, cautioned for mowing down Almiron in the first half, was sent off for upsetting Allan Saint-Maximin.

Isak nearly doubled the lead in injury time but hit the side net after rounding Bazunu.

Newcastle now have a week without a game to prepare for the return encounter, as Saints travel to St James’ Park after an FA Cup fourth round clash with Blackpool.

Sports standard

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button