Sport

Six Nations: Women’s and Under-20 tournaments postponed to “later this spring or early summer” | Rugby news


Six Nations Rugby has confirmed that it will finalize the respective schedules and formats for the women’s and U20 competitions by the end of January; The Men’s Six Nations will take place as scheduled, starting with Italy v France on February 6

Last updated: 13/01/21 14:35 pm

England are the reigning Six Nations champions after last season’s Grand Slam

The Women’s Six Nations have been postponed to “later this spring or early summer,” tournament organizers said on Wednesday.

The Under-20 Six Nations will also be postponed, with the governing body planning to announce full details of the schedules and formats for both competitions by the end of January.

Tournament organizers have confirmed that the men’s edition will go ahead as planned, with Italy hosting France in the opener on February 6, although the French government is demanding assurances on the safety of England and the United Kingdom. Ireland before allowing its men’s team to visit those countries next month.

French authorities are concerned about the skyrocketing number of coronavirus cases in the UK and Ireland and have already banned their clubs from participating in European competition this month.

In a statement, the Six Nations said: “Six Nations Rugby Limited today confirmed that the 2021 Women’s and U20 Championships will not take place in the regular Six Nations window of February and March of this year.

“The women’s championship will instead be scheduled in revised windows later this spring or early summer.”

England's Shaunagh Brown runs to French defense

England’s Shaunagh Brown runs to French defense

Six Nations women are viewed as more difficult to execute safely and successfully amid the pandemic, given the need for many responders to return to their jobs, some of whom are key and frontline workers.

Champions Cup and Challenge Cup suspended on Covid

It was announced earlier this week that the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup have been temporarily suspended amid the continuing impact of the coronavirus.

Two rounds of pool matches in the two European club competitions – which are slated to take place on the weekends of January 15-17 and 22-24 – have been postponed as authorities respond to the impact of a new strain of Covid -19.

The French government had advised – but not ordered – their teams to avoid cross-border matches on Saturday.

An ECPR statement read: “Following a directive from the French authorities that the participation of the 14 best clubs in the Heineken Champions Cup and the Challenge Cup at present constitutes too great a risk for public health, the ‘EPCR has no choice but to announce that the 2020/21 tournaments are temporarily on hold.

0:45
Vincent Gaillard, managing director of European rugby clubs, is convinced that this season’s Champions and Challenge Cup will be over, even if the matches in the billiards phase are abandoned

Vincent Gaillard, managing director of European rugby clubs, is convinced that this season’s Champions and Challenge Cup will be over, even if the matches in the billiards phase are abandoned

“The EPCR and the National Rugby League participated in an audio conference meeting last week with representatives from the French Ministries of Interior, Health and Sports, as well as the President’s office.

“Notable updates to the EPCR’s COVID-19 protocols have been presented to French authorities, including the addition of PCR testing no earlier than three days before tournament matches, in line with French government guidelines and supplementing the Existing and careful contact tracing measures put in place to limit the risk of transmission.

“In the context of the recent detection of a new strain of coronavirus, the French government has ordered French clubs to postpone their participation in EPCR tournaments for the month of January, both for matches scheduled in France and for those to be played in the UK and Ireland.

“Based on this directive, the EPCR had no choice but to temporarily suspend the group stage of the Heineken Champions Cup and the preliminary stage of the Challenge Cup.”





Source link

Back to top button