Retail investors have been particularly interested in potential short-term stocks since the start of the coronavirus pandemic. At that time, GameStop (NYSE:EMG) reached unimaginable levels, wreaking havoc on Wall Street investors with short positions. Notably, the GME events caused multi-billion hedge funds Capital of Melvin to post a decline of 53% in January 2021. In May 2022, the hedge fund announced that it would close.
Meanwhile, the topic of naked short selling has garnered attention over the past few weeks after Genius Group (NYSEMKT:GNS) announces the creation of a working group on illegal trade. The task force will be led by former FBI Deputy Director and Director Genius Timothy Murphy and will investigate allegations of market manipulation in GNS shares. GNS shares are up more than 350% in the past five trading days.
5 short-term stocks with high short interest
MarketBeat tracks the companies with the greatest short-term interest and updates its list regularly. Let’s take a look at the top five short-term stocks as of December 30:
- PaxMedica (NASDAQ:PXMD) bears a short interest rate of 71.5% and a borrowing fee rate of 289.4%. Earlier this week, the clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company announced that it would be presenting at the Virtual Investor Summit on January 26.
- silver gate (NYSE:IF) bears a short interest rate of 60.9% and a borrowing fee rate of 8.4%. The cryptocurrency bank was implicated in the bankruptcy of FTXwhich led to a significant drop in the SI stock.
- Grom Social Enterprises (NASDAQ:GROM) bears a short interest rate of 59.2% and a borrowing fee rate of 76%. The entertainment company announced last week that its subsidiary had taken a stake in Hi FuzzyYellow!a musical series for children.
- carvana (NYSE:CVNA) bears a short interest rate of 58% and a borrowing fee rate of 9.8%. Carvana was the most profitable company for short sellers last year. CNBC reported that CVNA rewarded short sellers with a 377.6% gain.
- Site fees (NYSE:STR) carries a short stake of 53.29%. The company operates as a mining company with over 260,000 acres of royalty property and over 24,800 gross shafts. Since its creation, Sitio has made more than 185 acquisitions.
On Penny Stocks and Low Volume Stocks:With rare exceptions, InvestorPlace does not publish reviews of companies with a market cap of less than $100 million or trading fewer than 100,000 shares per day. This is because these “penny stocks” are often the playground of scammers and market manipulators. If we ever post commentary on a low-volume stock that could be affected by our commentary, we require the editors of InvestorPlace.com to disclose that fact and warn readers of the risks.
Read more: Penny Stocks – How To Profit Without Getting Scammed
At the date of publication, Eddie Pan held (neither directly nor indirectly) any position in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author, subject to InvestorPlace.com Publication guidelines.
Article printed by InvestorPlace Media, https://investorplace.com/2023/01/short-squeeze-stocks-5-stocks-wall-street-really-doesnt-want-to-win/.
©2023 InvestorPlace Media, LLC