Skip to content
Shark attack near Sydney results in rare death, police say

The state government announced in November that it would invest approximately $15.4 million to mitigate the risk of attacks, including using non-lethal shore traps and shark detection drones, as part of its shark management program.

Police said emergency services were called on Wednesday afternoon near Buchan Point, off Little Bay Beach, about 10 miles south of Sydney, following reports of an attack of shark. Officers “located human remains in the water,” according to a police statement released Thursday.

The victim “suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of the attack,” New South Wales ambulance inspector Lucky Phrachnanh told The Associated Press, “and there was nothing the paramedics could do. when we arrived on the scene”. Afterwards, authorities temporarily closed Little Bay and nearby beaches and urged swimmers to stay away.

The police statement added that officers were investigating the death with another agency. A New South Wales police spokesperson told the Washington Post in a statement that the search would be halted Thursday evening but would resume in the morning.

Volunteers from the Surf Life Saving New South Wales organization said in a statement they were ‘on the scene’ Thursday morning’ with two Surf Life Saving Sydney jetskis on the water and two drones in the air to assist the police and the Department of Primary Industries” in their search.

Officials in Randwick, a town that includes Little Bay, closed all their beaches until Friday, as did council in Waverley, an area that includes Bondi Beach.

In a statement, the town of Randwick said staff members would put up signs and barricades on the beaches “to warn people not to swim”, while lifeguards “will patrol the beaches for the next 24 hours. looking for new shark sightings”. The statement called the incident “the first fatal shark attack in Randwick City in recent memory.”

Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker said: ‘Little Bay is normally such a quiet and beautiful place loved by families.

“Losing someone to a shark attack like this is scary,” he said. “The hearts of our entire community go out to the victim’s family.”

New South Wales police told the Post via email that the victim had not been officially identified, but “is believed to be a 35-year-old male from Wolli Creek”, a suburb several miles west of Little Bay.

Organizers of the Murray Rose Malabar Magic Ocean Swim, a charity event due to take place on Sunday at nearby Malabar Beach, said in a statement on Thursday that the event had been canceled out of respect for the swimmer and his family.

“We recognize and thank the many first responders and surf lifesavers who protect and patrol our beaches,” the statement read.

In Australia, which the government says is home to around 180 of the world’s estimated 400 shark species, there have been three unprovoked shark attacks, none fatal, this year, according to the Australian Shark Incident Database, a Taronga project. Conservation Society in Australia. It’s unclear whether Wednesday’s attack was included in that tally and authorities have not commented on whether the attack was provoked.

washingtonpost Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.