NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Sergio Garcia, one of the golfers to have threatened legal action over the suspensions of DP World Tour LIV Golf participants, launched into a fiery rant at the BMW International Open last week after learning of the actions of the tour, according to a report.
A player taking part in the tournament last week told the Daily Telegraph that Garcia “lost his mind” after learning in the locker room that the European tour had fined those players $120,000. participate in LIV golf events without a release and banned those players from playing at the Scottish Open next week.
“The news [of the ban] came out during last week’s BMW International [in Munich]”, the anonymous player told the outlet. “Sergio flew off shouting ‘this tour is s—, y’all are f—-ed, you should have taken the Saudi money.'” (Golfer Scottish) Bob MacIntyre was there and was disgusted.
PGA LEGEND CURTIS STRANGE WHY PROS SWITCHED TO LIV GOLF: IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
“Sergio’s reputation had been damaged before that anyway, but it sealed it for many of us,” the player continued. “The rant in America the other month was one thing, but that’s his home tour, where he started, and he shouldn’t forget that. Sure enough, he took the money. But he didn’t not to do it. rub other players’ noses in it.”
In the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship in May, Garcia went on another rant after being penalized for taking too long to locate his ball on the 10th hole.
“I can’t wait to get off this tour,” he said, according to multiple reports. “I can’t wait to get out of here. A few more weeks, and I won’t have to take care of you anymore.”
The comments came before Garcia officially joined LIV Golf.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE AT FOXNEWS.COM
Garcia is among 16 European Tour players who have sent a letter to the DP World Tour threatening legal action over the Tour’s recent decision to ban and fine players joining the Saudi-backed golf league.
The letter, obtained by The Daily Telegraph, said: “Instead of devoting our time, energy, financial resources and focusing on appeals, injunctions and prosecutions, we implore you, the guardians of the DP World Tour, to reconsider your recent penalties and sanctions and focus our energies on charting a course that is better for DP World Tour members and the game of golf.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
But European Tour CEO Keith Pelley hit back on Friday, saying those players were well aware of the consequences and went so far as to point out that several of the players who signed the letter showed no real interest in the tour. been touring for several years.
“I wish a lot of them had been as keen on playing on our tour back then as they seem to be now, based on the fact that they either resigned from their PGA Tour memberships. , or, if they are still members, have been suspended indefinitely,” Pelley said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.