Nessa, 28, was killed last Friday as she walked a short distance from her home in south-east London to a local pub where she planned to meet friends. She never arrived.
His body was discovered in a nearby park the next day, triggering a murder investigation.
“A 38-year-old man (…) was arrested on suspicion of murder at around 3 a.m. on Sunday, September 26, at an address in East Sussex. He has been taken into custody,” Metropolitan Police said in a statement. declaration.
“Sabina’s family has been made aware of this important development and continues to be supported by specialist officers,” Chief Detective Inspector Neil John said, according to the statement.
The Met had previously arrested two other men – a 40-year-old man and a 38-year-old man – who have since been released under investigation.
The latest arrest comes days after authorities released CCTV footage showing a man walking through Pegler Square shortly before Nessa’s murder.
Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, also paid tribute to Nessa in a Twitter post on Friday, saying she was “saddened by the loss of another innocent young woman on our streets”.
“My thoughts are with Sabina’s family and friends, as well as all those affected by this tragic event,” added the royal, before signing the tweet on her official account shared with “C”.
Appearing at the vigil, Nessa’s sister, Jebina Yasmin Islam, spoke of the pain of losing her brother, describing her sister as a “brilliant” woman.
“We lost an amazing sister far too soon… Sabina loved her family. We lost our sister, my parents lost their daughter and my daughters lost such a brilliant, loving and caring aunt,” Islam said.
“It makes it seem like we are stuck in a bad dream and cannot get out of it,” she added.
Residents of Kidbrooke, a quiet London suburb about 20 minutes by train from central London, have been shocked by the murder in their community.
“You think it could happen to you. It could happen anywhere,” Aliya Isaeva, a young mother who has lived in the area for about two years, told CNN Friday night.
Manuela Colombini, who also attended the vigil and has lived in the area for around 15 years, said: “We want to feel safe. I have two young daughters and I don’t want them to grow up and think that ‘they can’t go out on the streets or in a park,’ she said.
CNN’s Vasco Cotovio, Claudia Rebaza, Kara Fox and Ivana Kottasova contributed to this report.