Skip to content
Rwandan genocide orphans ‘were asked to leave hostel to make room for British asylum seekers’

Adults orphaned by the 1994 Rwandan genocide are said to have been ordered to leave a home to allow asylum seekers in the UK to stay at home.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Home Secretary Priti Patel revealed a £120million plan under which asylum seekers will be sent to the Rwandan capital, Kigali, to live there while their requests are processed.

But when Ms Patel detailed her plan at a press conference, no mention was made of 22 genocide survivors being told they would soon be evicted from the Hope House hostel.

A view of Hope House, in Kigali, where the government plans to send asylum seekers

(PENNSYLVANIA)

Some said they did not know where they would go after receiving eviction notices, according to a report by the sunday mirror.

A woman who has lived at the shelter for eight years told the newspaper: “I hardly know of any other house. I was only told to move a few days ago. I have not yet found where I will go. »

One of the orphans includes a woman born weeks before her parents were killed in the conflict that saw up to 800,000 Tutsis massacred, the newspaper reported.

A room at Hope House, a hostel in the Rwandan capital Kigali

(Flora Thompson/PA)

Opposition parties have criticized the plan to deport vulnerable orphans, who are now in their late twenties.

Shadow Home Secretary Yvette Cooper said: ‘The Hope House revelations are the latest issue showing why officials were unable to approve the plan. Incompetence and waste are the hallmarks of this government. Britain deserves better than this chaos.

Alistair Carmichael, Lib Dem MP and party home affairs spokesman, said the deportation orders were “cruel and heartless”.

Interior Minister Priti Patel and Rwandan Minister Vincent Biruta

(Flora Thompson/PA)

He said: “The proposal was shocking enough, but deporting Rwandans now is appalling.

“Instead of opening up safe and legal pathways for asylum seekers, Boris Johnson and Priti Patel have reverted to cruel and heartless tactics.”

But the reported evictions were called “fake news” by a Rwandan government spokeswoman.

Yolande Makolo also tweeted: “The Genocide against the Tutsi ended 28 years ago. This hostel has been almost empty for five years, the last remaining tenants are graduating and being facilitated to move on to a new life.

The Independent contacted the Home Office for comment.

He had said the sunday mirror“Rwanda will process applications in accordance with the UN Refugee Convention and provide protection against inhuman and degrading treatment.”


The Independent Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.