Sport

Roger Federer to miss Australian Open despite ‘solid progress’ on knee injury | Tennis News


Roger Federer has missed most of the 2020 season due to injury; Player’s agent Tony Godsick told AP: “He’s made great strides in recent months with his knee”; Andy Murray receives wildcard for main draw

Last update: 27/12/20 23:45

Roger Federer to miss Australian Open in February despite ‘solid progress’ in recovery from knee injury

Roger Federer is retiring from the Australian Open as he continues his recovery after two right knee surgeries, according to the player’s agent.

The six-time tournament winner has not been in a competitive game since injuring his knee in Australia in January this year when he lost in the semi-finals to Novak Djokovic.

Earlier this month, Federer admitted he was in “a race against time” to be ready for Melbourne, although organizers had remained optimistic about his appearance at the delayed event.

Federer’s agent Tony Godsick said The Associated Press Sunday: “Roger has decided not to play in the 2021 Australian Open.

“He has made great strides in the past two months with his knee and his fitness. However, after consulting with his team, he decided the best decision for him in the long term was to return to competitive tennis after the Open. from Australia.

Federer hasn't played competitively since this year's tournament semifinals in Melbourne in January

Federer hasn’t played competitively since this year’s tournament semifinals in Melbourne in January

“I will start discussions next week for the tournaments which start at the end of February and then start to set a schedule for the rest of the year.”

The start of the Australian Open main draw has been delayed for three weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic and is now set to begin on February 8.

Federer, 39, is currently training at his usual off-season home in Dubai.

The organizers of the Australian Open are chartering flights to bring all the main draw players to Australia, with a qualification for the tournament singles draw held in Dubai and Doha from January 10-13.

Players will undergo regular coronavirus tests in Australia and will be allowed to train for up to five hours a day.

Murray receives wildcard for Australian Open

Andy Murray lost in five sets to Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round of the 2019 Australian Open

Andy Murray lost in five sets to Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round of the 2019 Australian Open

Andy Murray will return to the Australian Open in February after receiving a main draw wildcard.

The 33-year-old Scot, a five-time finalist in Melbourne, broke down in tears in January 2019 after playing what he feared would be his last game as a professional.

Suffering from chronic hip pain, Murray lost in five sets to Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut in the first round of the 2019 tournament.

Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said: “We welcome Andy back to Melbourne with open arms.

“As a five-time finalist he has been an integral part of so many incredible matches and scenarios in recent Australian Open history.

“His retirement was an emotional moment and seeing him come back, after having undergone major surgery and rebuilding himself to resume the Tour, will be a highlight of AO 2021.

“We wish him good luck and look forward to seeing him in 2021.”





Source link

Back to top button