Queen Elizabeth has tested positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace confirmed in a statement.
The Palace added that she “had mild cold symptoms but expects to continue with light duties at Windsor over the coming week”.
“She will continue to receive medical care and will follow all appropriate guidelines,” the palace said.
News of the 95-year-old monarch’s diagnosis comes after Clarence House revealed Prince Charles, 73, tested positive on February 10 and went into self-isolation. A palace source said at the time that Charles had met the Queen “recently”, although she had no symptoms. His wife, Camilla, Duchess of Camilla, also later tested positive.
Charles had previously tested positive for coronavirus in March 2020. His symptoms were mild and he could work from home, a spokesperson said at the time.
Months later, reports emerged that Prince William also tested positive around the same time, although his diagnosis was not made public until November 2020.
Throughout the pandemic, members of the British Royal Family have offered messages of encouragement and solidarity on their social media accounts and at various public engagements.
The Queen also delivered a rare and moving address to the nation and Commonwealth in April 2020, thanking frontline workers for doing their part and promising better days for all.
“We need to be reassured that even though we have more to endure, better days will come,” she said. “We will be with our friends again; we will be with our families again; we’ll see each other again.”
The Huffington Gt