The UK is and always will be the home of the Duke of Sussex
The UK “is and will always be his home”, the Duke of Sussex’s lawyers said at the first hearing of his High Court complaint against the Home Office over his police protection in the UK.
Harry is suing the Home Office’s decision not to allow him to pay for police protection for himself and his family while in the UK.
The Duke wants to bring his visiting children from the United States, but he and his family are “unable to return home” because it is too dangerous, a legal representative has previously said.
He argues that his private protection team in the United States does not have adequate overseas jurisdiction or access to British intelligence information needed to keep his family safe.
The first hearing in the case took place at the Royal Courts of Justice in London on Friday, which Harry did not attend.
During the preliminary hearing, the court heard a request from both parties that parts of the court documents in the case be kept confidential.
Presenting the case, Shaheed Fatima QC, for the Duke, said: “This claim relates to the claimant not feeling safe while in the UK given the security arrangements that have been applied to him in June 2021 and will continue to be applied to him.”
She continued: “It goes without saying that he wants to come back to see his family and friends and continue to support the charities that are close to his heart.
“Above all, it is and always will be his home.