Skip to content
Prince Andrew: UK High Court accepts request from lawyers for Virginia Roberts Giuffre


The UK judiciary said it had accepted a request to serve documents on Prince Andrew on behalf of lawyers representing Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who claims the Duke sexually assaulted her when she was 17, Fox News has learned.

The British judiciary confirmed the news on Monday, telling Fox News in a statement that Giuffre’s lawyers had provided them with the necessary information and that the office had “accepted the request for service under the Hague Convention.”

“Court proceedings have not yet been served, but the High Court will now take action to serve under the Convention, unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties,” the statement continued.

Virginia Giuffre has long alleged she was abused by the Duke of York as a minor
(Getty Images)

Whether the documents were originally legitimately served on the Duke of York was a point of contention in a preliminary hearing held by telephone on Monday. At the time, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan gave Giuffre’s lawyers a week to determine whether or not to involve UK authorities in the document service process.

Giuffre’s lawyers had previously said they served Andrew with legal papers on the morning of August 27. The legal team said the documents were handed over to a Metropolitan Police officer on duty at the main gates of Andrew’s house in Windsor Great Park at 9:30 a.m.

On Monday, Giuffre’s lawyer, David Boies, was convinced that he had conducted the proceedings correctly and that no further action was necessary.

THE LAWYERS FOR PRINCE ANDREW AND VIRGINIA ROBERTS GIUFFRE SPAR IN COURT FOR THE LEGITIMACY OF DOCUMENTS SERVED IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

Prince Andrew: UK High Court accepts request from lawyers for Virginia Roberts Giuffre

A 2001 photo, included in court records, shows Prince Andrew with his arm around the waist of 17-year-old Virginia Giuffre, who says Jeffrey Epstein paid her to have sex with the prince. (South Florida District Court)
(United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals)

“Our view, Your Honor, is that at this point (the need for the court to intervene) is not necessary, that we have served it properly,” Boies said at the time. “If the court were to determine for some reason that our service was faulty … we would ask the court to order alternative service, in the interest of moving the case forward.”

PRINCE ANDREW’S LAWYERS QUESTION IF THE LEGAL DOCUMENTS HAVE BEEN SERVED CORRECTLY MAY FIGHT AMERICAN JURISDICTION

The lawyers will be back in court on October 13.

Last month, Giuffre accused Andrew of bodily harm and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The lawsuit claims she was forced to have sex with Andrew three times on Epstein’s orders.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Prince Andrew has repeatedly denied the allegations in the lawsuit brought by Giuffre, a longtime accuser of Jeffrey Epstein, a now deceased convicted sex offender.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.


Fox Gt