Usa News

Prince Andrew: High Court accepts Virginia Giuffre’s request to formally contact duke over alleged sexual assault case | UK News


The High Court has accepted a request from Virginia Giuffre’s legal team to formally contact Prince Andrew regarding the case against him in the United States.

The lawyers representing the woman suing the The Duke of York for suspected sexual assault have asked UK courts to inform the royal of the case.

Monday the first preliminary court hearing in New York revolved around a disagreement over whether the papers had been served and the Duke was made aware of the case in the proper manner.

Picture:
Prince Andrew has denied all allegations against him

The judge told Virginia Guiffre’s legal team that they had a week to make further efforts to serve documents, which prompted them to file a claim with the High Court in London.

After highlighting a problem with the request, a subsequent High Court statement said: “The attorneys acting for Ms Giuffre have now provided additional information to the High Court, and the High Court has accepted the request for service in under the Hague Service Convention.

“Court proceedings have not yet been served, but the High Court will now take steps to serve under the convention, unless service is arranged by agreement between the parties.”

The Hague Service Convention is a treaty that governs requests between countries for evidence in civil or commercial matters.

Whether Andrew was properly briefed was a major issue during the telephone hearing in US District Court for the Southern District of New York.

On Monday, Andrew Brettler, representing the Duke of York challenged “the validity of service to date”, adding that it had not been properly served under UK or international law, and telling the court that they had already contacted the High Court in London regarding the matter.

David Boies, representing Ms Giuffre, said the complaint had been “delivered to the last known address of the defendant”, and added that the documents had also been sent “by Royal Mail”.

But it appears that Mr Boies and his colleagues are trying another route by bringing the claim to the High Court.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

A lawyer for Prince Andrew has appeared at a preliminary hearing in New York to dismiss the sexual assault allegations against the Duke.

Ms Giuffre is suing the Queen’s son for sexually assaulting her as a teenager.

She claims to have been trafficked by Andrew’s former friend and convicted sex offender, Jeffrey Epstein, for having sex with the Duke when she was 17 and a minor under US law .

Prince Andrew vehemently denied all allegations.


yahoo-skynews Gt

Back to top button