Lawyers for a woman who accused Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting her as a teenager have said he has been the subject of a federal lawsuit in the case.
According to an affidavit filed Friday in the Southern District of New York, where Virginia Giuffre filed the complaint last month, the Duke of York was served on August 27 at his home, the Royal Lodge in Windsor.
In a letter dated September 6, a UK-based lawyer for Andrew disputed the viability of the complaint against him, saying the manner in which the lawsuit was served did not appear to have followed the proper procedures under the Haye Convention.
David Boies, an attorney for Giuffre, pushed back, saying in a letter to the presiding judge that Andrew’s attorney’s views were “inconsistent” with convention.
The back-and-forth comes as a court hearing in the case is scheduled for Monday.
Lawsuit alleges Jeffrey Epstein, the millionaire financier who committed suicide in 2019 after being arrested for federal sex trafficking, and Epstein’s longtime associate Ghislaine Maxwell coerced Giuffre into engaging in sexual acts with Andrew 20 years ago.
Maxwell has also been charged with sex trafficking and other crimes. She pleaded not guilty in federal court earlier this year.
Giuffre’s lawsuit alleges Andrew repeatedly abused her in three locations – in London, New York and on Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands. She had previously detailed the allegations to “Dateline”.
Andrew has denied having sex with Giuffre and told the BBC in 2019 that he cannot remember meeting her, despite a widely circulated photo showing them both with Maxwell. Andrew also said he was at a pizza place with his daughter in 2001 the day Giuffre claimed they had sex in London.