Skip to content
Olivier Véran rejects the idea of ​​a national reconfinement

The Minister of Health Olivier Véran has ruled out the idea of ​​a national reconfinement despite the resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic. A curfew is however envisaged at 6:00 p.m. from January 2 in certain particularly affected departments.

The government decided, Tuesday, December 29, not to tighten immediately the measures to fight against the coronavirus in force in France, but will soon decide whether the curfew should be brought forward by two hours in the regions which are the subject. special surveillance.

“What we are ruling out is the idea of ​​containment, we do not want to confine at this stage, neither generalized containment nor local containment,” said Minister of Health Olivier Véran, during an interview with 20h from France 2.

However, the minister announced that the government will decide “after consultation” whether the curfew should come into force earlier in the regions most affected by the resurgence of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“We are going to propose an extension of the curfew, which instead of starting at 8:00 p.m., will start at 6:00 p.m. in all the territories in which it will prove necessary (…) departments, metropolises (…) , in which the incidence rate would be above the maximum alert threshold, “said Olivier Véran.

These are the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Grand-Est and Bourgogne-Franche-Comté regions, he said, a few hours after a defense council.

With Reuters and AFP