A news anchor has been fired by a local Los Angeles TV station after he apologized to viewers for the sudden departure of his former co-host.
The furor on KTLA-TV began last week when the station announced Lunette Romero’s departure from its weekend slot on the news channel.
KTLA said the popular news anchor had “decided to move on after nearly 24 years at KTLA”, with the local news station posting a similar statement on Twitter about Romero’s sudden departure from the morning news show of the chain’s weekend.
tackle the problem on the air On Saturday, her former co-host Mark Mester said it was wrong to announce Ms Romero’s departure so suddenly amid criticism from viewers on social media, Deadline and The pulpit reported.
“It was inappropriate, and we’re so sorry,” Mr. Mester said in the seemingly unplanned segment. “I also want to say sorry to Lynette Romero, because Lynette I love you so much, and you are truly my best friend. You didn’t deserve what happened to you on Wednesday.
He continued, “What viewers experienced was rude, it was cruel, it was inappropriate and we’re so sorry.”
Ms Romero, who had worked at KTLA since 1998, reportedly agreed to quit the news station last week after her departure was announced by a colleague on Wednesday morning. The station did not reveal further details.
She tweeted of the support she has received: “I will always be grateful for the love and affection that viewers in Los Angeles have given me. Stay tuned my friends, I’ll be right back.”
Deadline reported on Monday that after his Saturday segment, Mr. Mester was suspended by KTLA. The Independent approached KTLA owners for comment.
The Independent Gt