Newcastle will look to pick up where they left off in their return to action against Crystal Palace This weekendlive on talkSPORT.
The Magpies were the Premier League’s in-form team heading into the international break and are looking to extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to eight matches.
During that run, Eddie Howe’s side knocked Manchester City out of the Carabao Cup before securing an incredible 4-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League.
But Newcastle struggled against Palace last season, having played out three goalless draws in their league and cup encounters.
Palace are a point and one place behind the Toon and drew 0-0 with Nottingham Forest last time out.
Newcastle vs Crystal Palace: talkSPORT coverage
This Premier League clash will take place on Saturday October 21.
Kick-off at St James’ Park is scheduled for 3pm.
This match is not available on UK TV due to the blackout rule, but talkSPORT 2 will have exclusive live coverage from Tyneside.
Commentary will come from Mark Wilson and former England defender Micky Gray.
To connect to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website, click HERE for live streaming.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Newcastle vs Crystal Palace: Team news
The hosts are expected to be without Joe Willock or Harvey Barnes due to injury.
But influential trio Joelinton, Alexander Isak and Sven Botman are all hoping to play a part after encountering more minor problems.
talkSPORT football correspondent Alex Crook also revealed that Sandro Tonali is still eligible for selection.
Tonali was sent home from international duty with Italy along with Aston Villa’s Nicolo Zaniolo amid allegations of illegal betting.
Palace also have a number of doubts, with star attacking duo Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise both out with hamstring injuries.
Cheick Doucouré and Jefferson Lerma will also face late fitness tests.
Newcastle vs Crystal Palace: What was said?
Tonali’s agent suggested the Newcastle star was battling a gambling addiction.
Tonali’s agent Giuseppe Riso, speaking at an event at the Italian embassy, said: “He is playing his most important game – against betting addiction.
“He is in shock, he is very sad. He has to deal with this situation. He is training at the moment (at Newcastle). He told me that he trained very well. He can play SATURDAY.”
Newcastle vs Crystal Palace: Match statistics
- Crystal Palace have conceded 18 goals while facing 64 shots on target in the Premier League since Roy Hodgson’s return as manager in April. Of the teams participating in the competition in 2022-23 and 2023-24, only Manchester City have conceded fewer goals (14), and only Man City (50) and Arsenal (63) have faced fewer shots on target on this period.
- Newcastle are eighth in the Premier League table with 13 points, but based on Opta’s expected points model, their expected points total based on match-by-match expected goals is 16.4; this is the second highest expected points total in the competition this season, after Manchester City (16.6).
- No team has kept more clean sheets in the Premier League this season than Crystal Palace (4). The Eagles have kept a clean sheet in their last three league matches, last recording four consecutive games between February and June 2020 – a run which included a 1-0 win over Newcastle.
- Newcastle have conceded 17 goals in home matches since the start of last season in the Premier League, the fewest of any non-promoted team, along with Manchester United. The Magpies have kept a clean sheet in back-to-back league matches at St. James’ Park.
- All three meetings between Crystal Palace and Newcastle in all competitions last season ended 0-0. This is Newcastle’s longest scoreless draw against an opponent, while only against Cardiff have the Eagles had such a longer run (4 between 1947 and 1965).
- After winning three of the five Premier League meetings with Newcastle between February 2019 and April 2021 (2 L), Crystal Palace is winless in four against the Magpies (3 D, L1), without managing to score in each of the three last.
- The last four Premier League meetings between Newcastle and Crystal Palace have seen just three goals scored (2 for Newcastle, 1 for Palace), with both games last season ending 0-0.
- Newcastle’s Kieran Trippier has created 89 chances from set pieces in the Premier League since the start of last season, 28 more than any other player in Europe’s big five leagues. Eight of those chances resulted in assists, the most of any player in the aforementioned leagues, alongside Monaco’s Caoi Henrique.
- Alexander Isak has scored in each of his last three appearances for Newcastle in the Premier League – the only Swedish player to score in four consecutive matches in the competition is Fredrik Ljungberg for Arsenal in April 2002 (5).
- Crystal Palace have made 16 substitutions in the Premier League this season, eight fewer than any other team, never using more than three in a single game. The last teams to make fewer substitutions at this stage of a Premier League campaign were Burnley (14) and Aston Villa (15) in 2020-21.
talkSPORT football match center
Keep up to date with all the latest Newcastle United matches and results plus live Premier League standings in our new Match Centre.