New York Mayor Eric Adams is asking tech companies to do more to identify and remove violent rhetoric on their platforms after the man arrested for the Brooklyn subway shooting was discovered to have posted a series racist and violent comments online.
Mayor Adams spoke on the ABC show on Sunday This week where he was joined by NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell.
“I think social media needs to step up. There is a corporate responsibility when we watch hate brew online. We can identify, using artificial intelligence and other methods, to identify those who talk about violence “said the mayor.
Mr Adams did not identify any particular company, but appeared to be referring to reports that alleged Underground shooter Frank James had posted online rants about him and other politicians.
In videos posted to a now-closed YouTube account, Mr James expressed violent feelings towards people in New York, including Hispanic Americans, homeless people and black people.
In one video, Mr James made the shocking claim that the United States “needs[s] to see more mass shootings,” while talking about his long history of mental health issues.
Mr James’ channel was deleted by YouTube on Wednesday afternoon. However, according to NBC News, the channel’s content reappeared under different account names after his arrest.
The Independent reached out to YouTube to comment on the mayor’s remarks.
Mr James is accused of opening fire on a crowded rush hour subway train in Brooklyn on Tuesday after setting off at least one smoke bomb. Nearly a dozen people were injured by bullets, but there were no fatalities. After the shooting, Mr. James escaped.
He was arrested on Wednesday after a citywide manhunt. Five New Yorkers split a $50,000 reward after providing information about his whereabouts to the NYPD.
Mr. James also called 911 himself to alert authorities that he was in the East Village.
The 62-year-old was later charged in federal court with carrying out a terrorist attack on a public transit system and is expected to face other charges.
The mayor of New York also said Sunday that the number of police officers would be increased on the city’s subways in response to the attack, as well as other recent violent incidents on the transit system. He noted that the NYPD had already added hundreds of officers to the subway system in recent years.
“We are sending more officers to the subway system. We recognize that people need to see a visible police presence on the Tube, and we are working to ensure that happens,” Commissioner Sewell added.
Mr Adams also mentioned his ongoing campaign against “drill”, a type of music that is part of the trap genre, and which he has linked to gang violence in the past.
“You know my concerns about even exercise music,” Mr. Adams, a former NYPD captain, told host George Stephanopoulos. “Not all workout music, but music about inflicting violence on rival gangs, which is behind some of the shootings we see in parts of the Bronx.”
Mr Adams is a frequent critic of the drill subculture and met New York-based musicians including stars Maino and Bleezy DOD in February after asking that their videos be pulled from the internet. After the meeting, the artists accused the mayor of driving a false stigma against an integral part of the city’s culture.
“We tried to tell her that gender is about rhythm,” Bleezy told DOD The Guardian in February.
“There’s dirt, a different type of sound; it gives you a different type of energy. There are no drill lyrics.
The Independent Gt