BRIAN Laundrie’s family have made a shocking request to protect themselves from ’embarrassment’ and ‘oppression’ in the ongoing lawsuit brought by Gabby’s parents, documents reveal.
Parents of convicted killer Brian have filed a motion asking to limit what they can be questioned about under oath as they prepare to defend themselves in a civil lawsuit brought by Nichole Schmidt and Joe Petito, court records show.
Lawyers representing Christopher and Robert Laundrie filed the motion which asks the judge to limit the evidence presented to the period between Gabby’s death last August and the discovery of her body a few weeks later.
The defense argues that it will “protect them from boredom, embarrassment, oppression, undue burden and expense”.
This motion comes as Schmidt and Petito sue the Laundries for emotional distress, claiming they knew their son Brian murdered Gabby and did not tell detectives.
However, lawyers representing the laundries argue reliving the experience could be cruel to parents and want to ensure any evidence presented in court is relevant in depositions scheduled for December 1.
“The public following the case and the plaintiffs are likely curious about Brian Laundrie’s life, his final days, his interaction with his parents, and the thoughts and feelings his parents experienced,” the petition reads according to FOX 13.
“But curiosity is no reason to require defendants to discuss such personal and heartbreaking details.
“Rather, the discovery must be relevant to the cause of action at issue.”
Gabby’s disappearance and death has gripped the nation as the hunt for her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, intensified after he was named a person of interest in the case.
However, remains were found during the search for Laundrie and later identified as hers.
On November 3, 2021, medical examiners confirmed that Laundrie’s cause of death was a gunshot wound to the head.
Laundries also came under fire after it was revealed they initially gave police the wrong date of their son’s disappearance.
The family’s attorney revealed that Laundries provided investigators with the incorrect date of his alleged disappearance from the Carlton reservation in September.
Brian “went for a hike on the reserve” on Monday, September 13, not Tuesday, September 14 as originally shared, their attorney revealed, leading to a flurry of speculation on Reddit.
Steven Bertolino, a former lawyer for the Laundrie family, wrote in a verbatim response to WFLA Florida anchor Josh Benson: “The Laundries based the date Brian left on their recollection of certain events.
It’s also unclear why Laundries “didn’t return” Gabby’s mother’s text messages when she was desperate to find her daughter.
Nichole Schmidt says she tried to contact Chris and Roberta Laundrie after losing contact with Gabby in late August.
The civil suit claims the Laundries hid behind their attorney Steven Bertolino instead of telling authorities what they knew of Gabby’s death.
The defense filed a motion to dismiss the case, but was dismissed by a judge in June.
Gabby’s parents are seeking $100,000 in emotional damages in the civil suit.
The laundries are now represented by William Galarza, who has been contacted by The US Sun for comment.
Legal expert Neama Rahmani previously told the US Sun that the Laundrie family’s legal troubles could worsen as the trial continues.
“If it turns out the laundries knew their son killed Gabby, and they hid that information to help him get away, giving him a head start on law enforcement, then that would make them accomplices in the murder after the fact,” Rahmani said. .
“And it’s a crime that can lead to up to 30 years in prison.
“There’s certainly evidence to infer that they knew their son killed Gabby and then gave them a head start – and that’s the basis of the prosecution,” Rahmani added.
“So now they’re caught in this kind of really bad situation.”