France

Nearly 150,000 vacant homes in Brittany, according to an INSEE study – Bretagne



  • 1 How many vacant homes in Brittany?

  • In 2018, 144,800 dwellings were unoccupied in Brittany, i.e. 7.5% of the housing stock in the region (1,938,500 dwellings). A figure below the national average (8.1%). Only Corsica (3.1%), Pays de la Loire (6.5%) and Île-de-France (6.8%) show lower rates. In detail, it is the department of Côtes-d’Armor which has the most vacant accommodation (8.8%), ahead of Finistère (7.5%), Morbihan (7.3%) and Ille-et-Vilaine (6.7%).

  • 2 Where are they most numerous?

  • Vacant dwellings are more frequent in the land, notes the study, in particular on

    “a diagonal going from the Monts d’Arrée to the agglomeration of Redon (35), passing through all the EPCIs (public establishments for inter-municipal cooperation) in inland Brittany”. In the top 3 of the “best students”, we find the communities of municipalities (CC) of Belle-Île-en-Mer (3% of vacant housing), the Emerald Coast (4.4%) and the Pays Iroise (4.4%). Conversely, it is in the CC of Kreiz-Breizh that we find the most (15.4%), ahead of that of Roi Morvan (14.6%) and Loudéac (12.5%).

  • 3 Why are there differences between territories?

  • The number of vacant dwellings in each territory follows several indicators, such as “socio-demographic and economic characteristics (demographic dynamism, standard of living, employment, etc.)” and also “the situation [du] real estate market”, analyzes INSEE. Thus, there are more vacant dwellings in the Breton territories with low population growth, with a less dynamic economy and a lower standard of living.

  • 4 What are the types of vacant accommodation?

  • According to the study, two-thirds of vacant dwellings (65%) are houses and the rest (35%) are apartments. Nearly a third of them date from before the end of the Second World War, and half from the period 1946-1990. These vacant dwellings are also less well equipped: less than 60% of them have a bathroom, compared to 98% for all main residences. They are also smaller: 29% of them are less than 60 m² (compared to 21% of all dwellings) and 16% are more than 100 m² (compared to 34%).



letelegramme Fr Trans

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button