Skip to content
Michigan teenager charged with Oxford high school shooting

Indeed, Sheriff’s Lt. Tim Willis told a judge Ethan Crumbley recorded a video the day before the violence in which he spoke of the murder of students.

Crumbley has been charged as an adult with murder, attempted murder, terrorism causing death and gun crimes. During his arraignment, he replied, “Yes, I know that”, when asked if he understood the charges. Defense lawyer Scott Kozak has pleaded not guilty.

“He deliberately brought the handgun that day with the intention of murdering as many students as he could,” Assistant District Attorney Marc Keast said, successfully arguing for the lack of bail and transfer to prison from an establishment for minors.

Earlier, Sheriff Mike Bouchard told reporters that Crumbley’s parents were called to school on Tuesday “for worrying behavior in class.” The teenager remained in school and the shooting took place a few hours later.

Keast told the court that Crumbley entered a bathroom with a backpack and came out with a semi-automatic handgun, shooting students as he moved down the hall. The four students who were killed were identified as Tate Myre, 16, Hana St. Juliana, 14, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, and Justin Shilling, 17.

Bouchard did not provide details of what troubled school officials. He said investigators believed the gun was already in school.

“There is nothing he could have faced that would justify senseless and absolutely brutal violence against other children,” said the sheriff.

MPs rushed to school around lunchtime on Tuesday and arrested Crumbley in a hallway minutes after the shooting. His father bought the Sig Sauer 9mm gun last week, according to the sheriff.

McDonald said charges were being considered against the parents.

“Owning a gun means securing it properly, locking it and keeping ammunition separate,” she said.

The shooting should be a wake-up call for new gun laws in a country that has become “desensitized to school shootings,” McDonald told reporters.

“We must do better,” said the prosecutor without proposing specific changes. “How many times does this have to happen?” How many times?”

She said the terrorism charge also applies.

“What about all the kids running around, screaming, hiding under desks? … They are also victims, as are their families and the community too, ”said McDonald.

A video posted to social media showed students rushing out of the windows of the first-floor classroom rather than opening a door for someone pretending to be a police officer. The sheriff said he was probably a detective.

After the attack, authorities learned of social media posts reporting threats of shooting at the school of around 1,700 students. The sheriff stressed how crucial it is for such advice to be sent to authorities, while also warning against spreading rumors on social media before a full investigation.

Isabel Flores, a 15-year-old ninth grade student, told Detroit TV station WJBK that she and other students heard gunshots and saw another student bleeding in the face. They then fled the area through the back of the school, she said.

A worried parent, Robin Redding, said her son, Treshan Bryant, a grade 12 student, stayed at home on Tuesday after hearing threats of a possible shooting.

“It couldn’t be just random,” she said.

Bryant said he had heard vague threats “for a long time now” about plans for a shooting.


politico Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.