One of the two chemical installations in flames would produce chlorine
A large fire has broken out at a chemical plant in Passaic, New Jersey, and nearby residents have been asked to stay inside with their windows rolled up. One of the facilities on fire is said to have a large stock of chlorine.
Despite warnings to local residents to stay indoors, large crowds of people – including young children – could be seen outside watching the flames.
The blaze, which eventually escalated to a 10-alarm fire, prompted the evacuation of nearby homes. The building collapsed on itself under the flames. Photos from the scene show its burnt debris lighting up the night sky.
CBS News’ Nick Caloway reported, citing city mayor Hector C. Lora, that some 100,000 pounds of the dangerous chemical – chlorine – was set on fire in the blaze.
In a statement, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy urged residents to keep their windows closed and expressed his prayers for “first responders on the scene”.
A local meteorologist claims that the potentially toxic smoke could be blown all the way to Staten Island in New York, calling on everyone in its path to stay indoors.
You can share this story on social media: