Manchester United legend Paul Scholes hits out at Antonio Conte in now-deleted Instagram post as he sides with Tottenham following sacking
Paul Scholes appears to have sided with Tottenham in their decision to part ways with Antonio Conte after uploading an X-rated Instagram post.
It was announced on Sunday evening that the Italian had been dismissed from his role with ten Premier League games to go.
Spurs chairman Daniel Levy has spoken out against Conte’s public outburst following the 3-3 draw at Southampton where the north Londoners blew a two-goal lead.
As well as criticizing the club’s ownership, Conte lambasted his “selfish” squad, where he said “they’re not that good at playing at this level”.
Many Spurs fans praised Conte for his honest admission, but Scholes took aim at the 53-year-old.
The Manchester United legend said if the former Chelsea manager was really unhappy with his players, he should have expressed it in press conferences earlier.
In a now-deleted post on his Instagram Story, Scholes said, “We’re going to talk SPORT.
“A manager gets fired so everyone blames recruitment, and a top manager blames lack of ambition.
Tottenham part ways with Antonio Conte, but Cristian Stellini and Ryan Mason stay
Arsenal fans revel in Antonio Conte’s Spurs departure as they all notice the same thing
Conte leaves Spurs, Levy explains his decision, Nagelsmann is the first favorite
Mason Greenwood ‘was questioned’ by Man United over Cristiano Ronaldo’s brutal criticism
Kane and Son front-two, and a new midfielder – Tottenham’s squad under Nagelsmann
Woods couldn’t resist reminding O’Hara of ‘Spurs are back’ comments after Conte left
“Why doesn’t any manager say when he smiles and shakes a player’s hand during his press conference, ‘I don’t like that player, I think? [he] will end up getting me fired.
“Save the same old b******* once they get sacked or leave.”
It’s a view not shared by former Red Devils striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, as the Sweden international has insisted Conte is a victim of ‘being himself’.
Speaking ahead of Spurs’ official announcement of Conte’s dismissal, he told Sky Sports: “Each person works in their own way.
“Someone is trying to be an actor, to pretend. Someone is themselves, someone is trying to be perfect.
“I believe in being yourself, and sometimes you pay the price because that’s not what people want to hear.
“I prefer to be myself and express myself as I think and as I want. We all work in our own way.”
Spurs won’t bring in a permanent replacement for Conte until the summer, with Cristian Stellini taking over as caretaker head coach.
Ryan Mason as well as goalkeeping coach Marco Savorani, set piece specialist Gianni Vio and fitness trainers Stefano Bruno and Constantino Coratti will also stay.
Reports have claimed that Tottenham have already drawn up a shortlist of ten potential candidates which includes former Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann, Mauricio Pochettino and Luis Enrique.