Skip to content
Manchester City return to training ground after reporting no new cases of coronavirus |  Football News


Manchester City will return to their training base after reporting no new cases of coronavirus.

City closed its training ground, City Football Academy, on Monday after returning a number of positive tests.

City’s players were tested again on Tuesday after Monday’s game against Everton was called off just four hours before kick-off.

Kyle Walker, Gabriel Jesus and two members of staff had previously tested positive on Christmas Day and were forced to self-isolate.

In a statement on Wednesday, City said: “Manchester City FC can confirm that first team training will resume at City Football Academy this afternoon.

Picture:
Gabriel Jesus tested positive for coronavirus on Christmas Day

“The full Covid-19 bubble was tested yesterday, and the results have so far revealed no new positive cases. Safety remains our number one priority, and the Club will continue to proceed with great caution.

“The team’s first training buildings have undergone a thorough cleaning over the past 48 hours, and the majority of these facilities will remain closed, with only essential operations around the formation resuming.

“The bubble will undergo further testing in the coming days, the results of which will inform and dictate next steps.

Manchester City return to training ground after reporting no new cases of coronavirus |  Football News
Picture:
City’s game at Everton on Monday was postponed four hours before kick-off

“Everyone at Manchester City continues to wish a speedy recovery to all of our colleagues who remain in isolation after their positive tests.”

City are due to face Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday ahead of their Carabao Cup semi-final at Manchester United on Wednesday 6 January.

On Tuesday, the Premier League confirmed 18 positive coronavirus tests among players and staff in its latest round of testing (December 21-27) – the highest figure for the season to date.

Fulham’s Premier League match at Tottenham on Wednesday night has been postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak at the west London club.

Manchester City return to training ground after reporting no new cases of coronavirus |  Football News
Picture:
Fulham’s match at Tottenham has been postponed due to a coronavirus outbreak at the West London club

The Premier League made the decision to cancel the game at a board meeting on Wednesday morning. He said Fulham had called for the game to be revamped following “a significant increase in positive COVID-19 cases, as well as a number of players showing symptoms today.”

Decisions to rearrange matches are only made in “exceptional” circumstances and judged “on a case-by-case basis,” said the Premier League, which maintains its medical protocols are robust.

The guidelines given to clubs in the Premier League 2020/21 handbook are that “permission will not be granted to postpone a League match where the applicant club has 14 or more players listed on their available squad list” . The final decision is always made by the Premier League board.

EFL and National League hit by Covid

Matches across the EFL and the National League have been postponed this week due to positive Covid-19 tests.

In League One, Doncaster’s next three matches have been suspended, while Rochdale’s next two are disabled. Morecambe has announced that his next two Ligue 2 games have been postponed.

National League games at Barnet, Boreham Wood, Chesterfield, Dagenham & Redbridge and Sutton have also been postponed.

Rotherham’s championship game with Barnsley on Tuesday will go ahead, but boss Paul Warne said the coronavirus-hit Millers are only completing the game to avoid receiving a possible points deduction.

the EFL remains convinced it can cope with the growing number of games that have to be postponed due to coronavirus cases.





Source link