Skip to content
Man injured in Beirut port explosion dies 14 months later


Family of Lebanese man seriously injured in last year’s massive explosion in Beirut port say he died, nearly 14 months after the blast

BEIRUT – A Lebanese man who was seriously injured in the massive explosion in the port of Beirut last year has died, almost 14 months after the explosion, his family announced on Tuesday.

Ibrahim Harb, a 35-year-old accountant, was in his downtown office near the port when the explosion occurred, wiping out the port and devastating neighboring neighborhoods. He died Monday evening at his parents’ home, his brother, Mazen Harb, told The Associated Press.

The death brings to at least 215 the number of people who were killed by the explosion, according to official records.

On August 4, 2020, hundreds of tons of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive material used in fertilizers, ignited after a massive fire in the port. It later emerged that the nitrate had been inappropriately stored in a port warehouse for years, and senior political and security officials were aware of its existence and did nothing about it.

In addition to dozens of deaths, more than 6,000 people have been injured, many from broken glass, flying furniture and debris.

Ibrahim, who was due to be married the following month, suffered serious head injuries and spent more than three months in hospital in a coma after the explosion, his brother said. Later, half conscious and bedridden, he remained in a rehabilitation center until three days ago when the family decided to take him home, the brother said. He died Monday evening.

“He didn’t hold out after three days at home,” Mazen said on the phone before heading to his brother’s funeral.

More than a year later, no one was held responsible for the explosion. On Monday, the lead judge investigating the blast had to suspend his work in the case, amid legal challenges from politicians and a growing campaign by Lebanese politicians against him.

Judge Tarek Bitar is the second judge to lead the complicated investigation. His predecessor was removed from his post following similar legal challenges by senior officials whom he accused of negligence which led to the explosion.

“May God punish whoever was behind. What else can we say? Mazen said.

.


ABC News

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.