World News

Los Angeles bans home protests after supporters of the anti-vaccine rally show up at officials’ residences


Los Angeles city officials on Tuesday approved an order banning protests within 300 feet of the residence owned by the targeted person, a move after months of protests outside the homes of the public and elected officials.

The city council voted 12-2 to approve the measure, with council members Mike Bonin and Nithya Raman dissenting. A second reading – usually a formality – will take place on September 21 for the ordinance to come into effect.

ROBERT DURST MURDER TRIAL LAWYER SAYS ATTORNEYS DEMONIZED “SICK OLD MAN”

Protester Angelita Roman rallies against COVID-19 vaccines and passport warrants in Santa Monica, Calif., August 29, 2021. City council voted on Tuesday to approve an ordinance that would ban protests within 300 feet of the home of ‘a target.
(AP Photo / Damian Dovarganes)

The order was requested by Council Chairman Nury Martinez and City Councilor Mitch O’Farrell, who were targeted by anti-vaccine protesters last month. On August 29, a protester at a rally in Santa Monica shared his home address and urged people to show up at residences if they vote to approve an order requiring partial proof of vaccination before they can. enter most interior spaces.

“We have a week to stop the (vaccination) passports (…) if it is unanimous, we have lost,” said a protester. “Sharpen your knives, grab your guns, grab your food now. We find out who voted yes and you show up to them. We have to intimidate these people.”

“No member of staff, no member of our family should be subjected to this kind of treatment. My address and my home are not a public place for you to come and demonstrate,” she added.

After the rally, demonstrators, including governor candidate David Alexander Bramante, showed up at the homes of the Martinez and O’Farrell.

“A group of people showed up at my door, knocking on my door, knocking on my windows, harassing my neighbors, shouting obscenities in my daughter’s room and yelling into megaphones asking me to come out and threatening my life.” , said Martinez. , according to City News Service. “Members, frankly, I’m done with this. I’m done with the threats… I’m ready to end them. “

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Several members of the public called for their opposition to the measure, calling it a violation of their First Amendment rights. Some have said they will sue the city if the ordinance goes into effect. A draft order said anyone found to be in violation could be sued for damages and face fines of up to $ 1,000.


Fox Gt

Back to top button