Team news and stats ahead of Newcastle vs Liverpool in the Premier League on Wednesday (kick off 8pm).
Newcastle are keyless duo Jamaal Lascelles and Allan Saint-Maximin for Liverpool’s visit to the Premier League with the two still feeling the effects of Covid-19.
Jonjo Shelvey (groin) and Callum Wilson (ankle) will be assessed after neither were risked against Manchester City on Boxing Day and Joelinton (hip) is hoping to prove his fitness. The game will probably come too soon for Ryan Fraser (groin).
Fabian Schar and Federico Fernandez will also be tested after they return to the side at the Etihad Stadium despite not having trained much. Jeff Hendrick and Paul Dummett were also ill.
Liverpool defender Joel Matip and midfielder Naby Keita will miss the trip to St James’ Park.
Center-back Matip injured his groin in Sunday’s draw with West Brom, a game Keita missed with another muscle problem, so Rhys Williams looks set to replace.
Midfielder Thiago Alcantara is not quite ready to make a comeback after a knee injury suffered in October.
How to follow
Follow Newcastle vs Liverpool on our live match blog. Highlights will also be posted on the Sky Sports digital platforms and Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.
- Newcastle are winless in seven Premier League games against Liverpool (D2 L5), losing each of the last five in a row. They have never lost six consecutive high-level games against the Reds.
- Liverpool are looking to win three straight away games against Newcastle for the first time, scoring exactly three goals on each of their last two visits to St James’ Park (3-2 in May 2019, 3-1 in July 2020) .
- Newcastle are undefeated in their last four Premier League home games against the defending champions (W2 D2), since a 0-2 loss to Manchester City in August 2014.
- Newcastle have won their last league game in just two of the last 17 calendar years (D3 L12), beating Everton 3-2 in 2014 (Premier League) and Nottingham Forest 3-1 in 2016 (league).
- Liverpool have won their last league game in each of the past six calendar years, since losing 1-2 to Chelsea in 2013.
- Newcastle have not kept the clean sheet in their last 11 home games in the Premier League, scoring 22 goals in aggregate since a 3-0 win over Sheffield United in June.
- Liverpool claimed their biggest away win in their last road game, beating Crystal Palace 7-0. They scored as many goals in that victory as in their previous five away league games and became the first team in Premier League history to have seven different players to score a goal in a game.
- Liverpool have conceded 20 Premier League goals in 15 appearances this season – they only conceded their 20th goal in the 28th game of their winning 2019/20 campaign.
- Sadio Mané has scored four away goals in the Premier League this season, scoring only more in a previous campaign (7 last season). Mané has been directly involved in seven goals in his last eight top-level away matches (6 goals, 1 assist).
- Liverpool’s Mo Salah has been involved in nine goals in his last six Premier League away games (7 goals, 2 assists), already scoring three more road goals this season than he has. done throughout last season (4). The Egyptian has also scored in each of his last four starts against Newcastle.