Team news and stats ahead of Man Utd vs Aston Villa in the Premier League on New Year’s Day, live on Sky Sports; kick off at 8 p.m.
Victor Lindelof is in doubt for Manchester United’s New Years clash with Aston Villa.
The center-back has faced a back complaint in recent months and missed Tuesday’s final win against Wolves, when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer made six changes to his starting lineup.
The United boss has confirmed that Alex Telles was replaced by Luke Shaw at half-time against Wolves for tactical reasons. Marcos Rojo is grappling with a calf complaint and has yet to play this season.
Tyrone Mings will return from suspension for the trip from Villa to Old Trafford. The defender missed the 1-1 draw at Chelsea after being sent off against Crystal Palace on Boxing Day.
Loanee Ross Barkley is back in contention after a hamstring injury after missing the trip to parent club Chelsea while Wesley (knee) and Trezeguet (thigh) remain on the sidelines.
How to follow
Man Utd vs Aston Villa will be broadcast live on Sky Sports Premier League and Main event from 7:30 p.m. on Friday; kick off at 8 p.m. Sky Sports customers can watch clips of the game in the live match blog on the Sky Sports website and app. Free highlights will also be posted on the Sky Sports digital platforms and Sky Sports Football YouTube channel shortly after the final whistle.
At least 146 Premier League games will be broadcast live on Sky Sports in the 2020/21 season. The Premier League has further increased the number of televised games this season from 200 to 231, with more than half of the extra games due to be broadcast live. Sky Sports.
Global, Sky Sports will broadcast at least 146 Premier League games live throughout the 2020/21 season, continuing to bring you all the latest twists, turns and shocks at home in the Premier League. There will also be two additional mid-week programs – one will be played during the weeks starting January 11 and 18 and the second will be in the week starting May 10. All of these games will be broadcast live.
You can also follow the action with our dedicated live blogs on the Sky Sports website and app, and watch match highlights from each match shortly thereafter full time on our digital platforms and YouTube channel for free.
- Manchester United have lost just one of their last 43 Premier League games against Aston Villa (W31 D11) and are undefeated in their last 15 games since a 0-1 home loss in December 2009.
- Aston Villa drew 2-2 with Man Utd last season – they have not avoided defeat on consecutive league visits to Old Trafford since a 0-0 draw in the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns .
- Manchester United lost their first league game of 2020, losing 0-2 to Arsenal. They have not lost their league opener in consecutive calendar years since 1978 and 1979.
- Aston Villa won their first Championship game of 2020 (2-1 against Burnley), last winning their first Championship game in consecutive calendar years in 2008 and 2009.
- Manchester United have won more games on New Years Day than any other team in English Football League history (35), while among the teams that played at least 10 games on January 1, the Red Devils have also the highest win rate (61% – 35/57).
- Aston Villa have not lost a league game on New Years Day since 2001 (0-1 to Chelsea), with the Villans going undefeated in 10 of those games since (W6 D4).
- Aston Villa have won 26 points in 14 Premier League games this season, 11 more than after as many games last season (15) – this 11-point increase across the seasons is their biggest improvement at this point in time. a high-level campaign since 1998-1999 (14 more than in 1997-1998).
- Manchester United have lost just three of their 29 Premier League games since Bruno Fernandes made his debut in early February 2020 (W18 D8), undefeated in each of the last nine (W7 D2).
- Since his debut in February, Bruno Fernandes has been directly involved with 32 goals in 29 Premier League appearances (18 goals, 14 assists). The Portuguese assisted the Man Utd winner last time against Wolves, while his total of 14 assists in 29 games is the fastest a player has arrived at that total in the history of the competition.
- Anwar El Ghazi has scored in each of his last three Premier League appearances for Aston Villa, the last player to score in four successive high-profile games for the club was Christian Benteke in April 2013.