Skip to content


TORONTO – Federal Liberals said a downtown Toronto candidate would no longer run under their banner after finding out he had previously faced a sexual assault charge which was later dropped.

The party said on Friday it learned of the allegations against Kevin Vuong through a Toronto Star article a day earlier, and asked him to “put his campaign on hold”.

But the party released a statement this morning saying Vuong will no longer be a Liberal candidate, and if he is elected to represent Spadina-Fort York on Monday, he will not be a member of the Liberal caucus.

Vuong denied the allegations against him in a statement Friday, and noted that the charge had been withdrawn.

Court documents confirm Vuong was charged with sexual assault in 2019 and the charge was withdrawn later in the year.

Spadina Fort-York was previously represented by Liberal Adam Vaughan, who will not be running in 2021.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on September 18, 2021.

.


ctvnews Canada news