LAS VEGAS — A lawyer speaking on behalf of the former street gang leader accused of killing Tupac Shakur in 1996 said Thursday he sees “obvious defenses” in the Las Vegas murder case.
“There is no gun, there is no car and there are no witnesses from 27 years ago,” attorney Ross Goodman told reporters after the briefest court hearing, during which he told a Nevada judge that he was about to be hired to represent Duane “Keffe D.” Davis.
Clark County District Judge Tierra Jones gave Davis and Goodman two weeks to reach an agreement, saying she wanted to “move this matter forward.” She reset Davis’ arraignment to November 2.
Goodman told reporters that while he is not yet representing Davis, he expects Davis to plead not guilty and request his release pending trial.
Clark County Prosecutor Steve Wolfson did not respond to messages regarding Goodman’s comments.
Davis, 60, is being held without bail at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas. He is originally from Compton, California.
He was arrested Sept. 29 outside a home in suburban Henderson, where Goodman said he had lived for more than a decade.
Davis told police he moved there in January because his wife was involved in opening grocery stores in Nevada.
Davis is accused of orchestrating and enabling a drive-by shooting that killed Shakur and injured rap music mogul Marion “Suge” Knight after a fight at a Las Vegas Strip casino involving Shakur and Davis’ nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson.
In interviews and in a revealing 2019 memoir describing his life as the leader of a Crips gang sect in Compton, Davis said he obtained a .40-caliber handgun and handed it to Anderson in the back seat of a car from which he and Authorities say shots were fired at Shakur and Knight in another car at an intersection near the Las Vegas Strip.
Davis did not identify Anderson as the shooter.
Shakur died a week later at age 25 at a nearby hospital. Knight was injured but survived. Now 58, Knight is serving a 28-year prison sentence for the 2015 death of a Compton businessman.
Anderson denied any involvement in Shakur’s death and died in May 1998 at the age of 23 in a shooting in Compton. The two other men in the car also died.
A Las Vegas police detective testified before a grand jury that police did not have the gun that was used to shoot Shakur and Knight, nor had they found the vehicle from from which the shots had been fired.