Journalists Detained Over South Sudanese President’s Video Released
In a statement on Friday, the South Sudan Journalists Union said the two remaining journalists had been released. None of the journalists have been charged.
The union “will continue its dialogue with all stakeholders in the country to ensure that journalists work in a free and safe environment”, the journalists’ organization said.
The South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation footage was released in December and widely shared online. It showed 71-year-old Kiir standing during the national anthem, then staring at what appeared to be a spreading stain, before the camera turned away.
One of the released journalists, Garang John, said in a Facebook post that his health had been “totally compromised” by the 60-day lockdown.
“I’m completely weak and tired, but I’ll be fine,” he said.