Jerusalem attacks: Netanyahu promises ‘strong’ Israeli response as Moscow and EU urge avoid escalation – World Today News
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu promised on Saturday evening to quickly provide a “strong” response to “terrorism” after two Palestinian attacks in East Jerusalem, one of which killed seven people the day before near a synagogue.
“Our response will be strong, quick and precise,” the prime minister told reporters before an emergency meeting of the restricted security cabinet. “We are not looking for escalation but we are ready for any scenario,” he added.
However, earlier in the day, Russian diplomacy declared itself “deeply concerned” and called on all parties to “maximum restraint”. “We are deeply concerned by this course of events. We call on all parties to exercise maximum restraint and avoid further escalation of tensions,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement. According to Moscow, “we can only put an end to repetitive violence within the framework of a process of negotiations based on the principles of international law”, he adds.
For his part, the head of European diplomacy Josep Borrell called on Israel to use lethal force only as a “last resort” while “strongly” condemning the attacks perpetrated by Palestinians on Friday and Saturday.
“Start a de-escalation”
“The European Union fully recognizes Israel’s legitimate security concerns, further justified by the latest terrorist attacks, but it should be emphasized that lethal force should only be used as a last resort, when strictly inevitable to protect life,” Josep Borrell said in a statement.
“The EU is very concerned about the escalation of tensions in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territory. We call on both parties to do everything possible to initiate a de-escalation and relaunch the security coordination that is essential to prevent further acts of violence”.
“Deeply concerned about the current escalation of violence”
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also condemned Friday’s “particularly despicable” attack on a synagogue in East Jerusalem on Holocaust Remembrance Day. “There is never any excuse for terrorist acts. They must be condemned and rejected by all,” he added.
“The Secretary General is deeply concerned about the current escalation of violence in Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories,” added his spokesperson. “It’s time to show the utmost restraint.”
Sudden escalation of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
The attack was condemned by the American president, who called on the Israeli prime minister to assure him of “the unwavering commitment of the United States to the security of Israel”. “The United States gives its fullest support to the government and people of Israel,” White House spokeswoman Karine Jean-Pierre said Friday after the first deadly attack. Deputy State Department spokesman Vedant Patel said Antony Blinken would discuss on the spot “measures to be taken for a de-escalation of tensions”, he added.
A father and son were shot and wounded by a 13-year-old boy on Saturday in a new Palestinian attack in East Jerusalem, the day after a shooting that left seven dead near a synagogue. Both attacks have not been claimed. The violence comes against the backdrop of a sharp escalation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict since Thursday, after the death of nine Palestinians, including fighters and a woman in her 60s, during an Israeli army raid in Jenin, in the north of the occupied West Bank. .
letelegramme Fr Trans