NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
The special committee to investigate the Jan.6 riot on Capitol Hill voted 9-0 on Wednesday to approve a congressional resolution for criminal contempt of Trump-era Justice Department official Jeffrey Clark , after defying the committee’s summons.
The vote comes as the committee plans to hold a second hearing for Clark on Saturday before the contempt charge is finalized, which will give him the opportunity to plead the fifth on a question-by-question basis.
The House appears poised to move quickly, with the first step, a meeting of the House Rules Committee on contempt resolution, scheduled for Thursday.
JEFFREY CLARK, AN OFFICIAL OF TRUMP DOJ, SIGNED BY THE HOUSE SELECTIVE COMMITTEE ON JANUARY 6
Clark’s attorney, as Axios noted, sent a letter to Representative Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., Chairman of the committee, and said that Clark “was asserting his rights against self-incrimination under the Fifth. amendment of the US Constitution “. Thompson reportedly told Clark’s attorney that the committee would be “ready to call for another deposition.”
“We will not finalize this contempt process if Mr. Clark genuinely remedies his failure to comply with this subpoena this Saturday,” said Representative Liz Cheney, R-Wyo.
If finalized, the measure would be sent to the House for a full vote, then sent back to the Justice Department for prosecution against Clark, who served as deputy attorney general of the Environment and Natural Resources Division from 2018 to 2021. .
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Earlier this month, Steve Bannon, former adviser to former President Trump, was charged with contempt of Congress.
Clark was subpoenaed by the committee in October in an effort to understand his role “in the Department of Justice and who was involved in the administration” in relation to the events of January 6.