World News

‘It’s officially over’: Tyson Fury claims scheduled fight with Anthony Joshua is off | Tyson’s Fury


Tyson Fury says his proposed world heavyweight title showdown with Anthony Joshua is off after his self-imposed 5 p.m. deadline expires on Monday.

Fury issued an ultimatum to Joshua’s camp on Friday night, insisting that if the deal couldn’t be done in time, he would walk away from the all-British blockbuster fight. After posting previous messages encouraging Joshua to sign the contract throughout the day, Fury then claimed the fight was “officially over” past the deadline.

In a video posted to Instagram, Fury said: “Well guys, it’s official. D-Day is over. It’s been five o’clock, Monday. No contract signed. It’s officially over for Joshua. He’s out in the cold now with the wolf pack. Forget it.”

The defending WBC champion went on to call Joshua “idiot, coward, shithouse…and a bodybuilder. Always knew it. You always knew you didn’t have the minerals to fight the Gypsy King,” he continued. “No matter what the fuck you say now, I really don’t care. Good luck in your career and in your life. End of. Calm down.

Joshua has yet to respond, but said on Sunday that he plans to sign the fight contract but is taking legal advice first. “It’s not in my hands – it’s with a legal team. That’s why you hire lawyers,” Joshua said in an Instagram Live video.

“You know the history of boxing – make sure you understand your legal terms. That’s why you get good management and good lawyers,” he added. “So of course I I’m going to sign the contract – it’s just with a few lawyers a minute.”

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn had previously said there was ‘zero chance’ of any contracts being signed by Monday, although the challenger’s side had already verbally accepted Fury’s offer to join. a 60-40 split of the purse.

Television executives from BT Sport and streaming service Dazn were due to meet on Monday to discuss broadcast rights, an indication that a deal for the fight scheduled for December was believed to be close.

Mahmoud Charr is a potential alternative opponent for Fury, after the German challenged the champion on social media. Fury reposted Charr’s post with the caption: “If [Joshua] Don’t sign today, you’re in a big G and you can show them how a real man throws himself!

Joshua suffered a second straight loss to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia last month, and Fury’s hopes of a match against the Ukrainian were dashed after indicating he had no plans to return to the field. ring before 2023.

theguardian Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button