Skip to content


The man behind Italian Matteo Salvini’s social media campaign has quit his post following a drug investigation.

Luca Morisi has been investigated by the Veneto Prosecutor’s Office for alleged drug offenses.

“Morisi has been entered in the register of suspects for alleged drug transfer,” Verona prosecutor Angela Barbaglio told ANSA news agency.

“The nature of this [offense] is still awaiting the outcome of an investigation, “he added.

After a search of his home, small drug samples were found and cell phones were seized, according to Italian media.

Morisi had stepped down earlier this month as the League’s party leader’s social media communications officer, citing “personal issues”. He denied any wrongdoing.

In a Facebook post, Salvini said Morisi had “hurt more than the others.”

“When a friend makes a mistake and makes a mistake you don’t expect … first you get mad at him and very angry. But then you reach out to help him get up.”

“Friendship and loyalty for me is life,” Salvini added, alongside a photo of the two men.

The far-right party leader has become well known in Italy for his extravagant social media profiles and strategy.

Morisi was even known as “The Beast” due to his aggressive comments online towards political opponents.

His departure from the League comes as the party falls in the polls, after criticism for its support for a mandatory COVID-19 “green pass”.

Italy is due to hold local elections in several major cities, including Rome, Milan, Turin and Naples, next Sunday.

.


euronews Gt