Israeli authorities showed harrowing images of killings and mutilations during Hamas’s rampage in southern Israel on October 7.
The government showed the 43-minute compilation at a private screening for dozens of foreign journalists at a Tel Aviv military base on Monday to counter what it said were attempts to deny or downplay the scale of the atrocities.
The footage, captured by security cameras, body cameras worn by Hamas militants, vehicle dashboard cameras, social media accounts and cellphone videos, left some journalists in tears. The documents included the murder of children and the beheading of some victims.
The public was not allowed to record the compilation, but an excerpt, lasting about a minute, was made public: it showed Hamas militants stopping a car as it drove slowly down a road rural. The gunmen opened fire, hitting the vehicle, which swerved and stopped, revealing two people slumped in the front seats.
In another scene, Hamas militants entered a house and spoke to a young girl hiding under a table. “After a few exchanges, they shoot and kill her,” tweeted Jotam Confino, one of the correspondents at the screening. “It’s hard to say how old she is, but it looks like she’s between 7 and 9.”
Another scene showed a father and his two sons, aged about seven and nine, running in their underwear toward what appeared to be a bomb shelter. A Hamas militant threw a grenade, killing the man. The boys come out bloody and run away. “Dad is dead, it wasn’t a prank,” one of them shouts. “I know, I saw it,” replied his brother, who would later shout: “Why am I alive?”
Other footage showed a Hamas militant with a farm implement cutting off the head of a man lying on the ground, gunmen killing wounded Israeli soldiers, and a jubilant Hamas fighter calling out to his family: “I killed 10 Jews with my own hands. I’m using the deceased Jewish woman’s phone to call you now.
Another clip showed an Israeli woman inspecting the partially burned corpse of a woman to see if it was a member of her family. The victim’s dress was hiked up to her waist and her boxer shorts had been removed. Maj. Gen. Mickey Edelstein, who briefed reporters after the visit, said authorities had evidence of rape.
Still images showed a decapitated soldier, charred human remains, including those of young children, and several Islamic State (IS) flags, the Times of Israel reported. “When we say Hamas is Isis, that’s not a branding effort,” R Adm Daniel Hagari told reporters after the screening.
Gruesome scenes from the attack, in which more than 1,400 Israelis died, have been widely shared on social media over the past two weeks, but Eylon Levy, an Israeli government spokesman, said that there was a “denialism-like phenomenon” regarding the scale of the attack. atrocities.
The screening came as Israel renewed calls to stop its bombing of Gaza, which has killed at least 400 Palestinians in the past 24 hours, bringing the total death toll in the territory to more than 5,000, according to the Hamas-run Ministry of Health. Among the dead were 2,055 children, according to the statement.
Around 1.4 million people – more than half of Gaza’s population – have been displaced by the retaliatory bombings, creating a humanitarian calamity for those trapped and deprived of water, food and medicine, the statement said. United Nations. Israeli authorities said they had launched limited raids on Gaza ahead of an expected ground offensive.