World News

Iranian official blames deadly unrest

Foreign forces responsible for three deaths, regional governor says

Foreign forces have attempted to stir up unrest in Iran amid public outrage over the death of a woman in police custody, Ismail Zarei Koosha, governor of West Kurdistan province, said on Tuesday.

Fars news agency quoted Koosha as saying that three people had been “shot and killed by enemies of the government” during the demonstrations, which shook several cities, including the capital of Kurdistan, Sanandaj.

He added that the victims had been killed “with weapons that are not used by any of the security and military officials.”

The protests began last week after the death of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini after being detained in Tehran for wearing a “improper” hijab.

Police claimed Amini died of a heart attack, dismissing reports that the woman was beaten in police custody or otherwise tortured.

READ MORE: Iranian police react to death of woman in custody

Koosha said the forces of “out of the country” tried to exploit the tragedy to cause unrest. “There is an emotional atmosphere. And, therefore, they are not sympathizers of Mahsa and [her family]Sunnis and Kurds, he said.

“We will stand up and deal with those behind the death of Mahsa Amini and seek to create insecurity in Kurdistan and spread it to other provinces.”

According to media reports, protesters threw rocks and set trash cans on fire, while police fired volleys of tear gas.

rt Gt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button