Several hundred people are believed to have been on Gujarat’s newly renovated suspension bridge at the time of the incident
More than 60 people have been killed in the collapse of a newly renovated bridge in the Indian state of Gujarat, state government minister Brijesh Merja has told media.
“More than 60 people died”, the official, who is now at the scene of the tragedy, was quoted as saying by the Times of India.
He revealed earlier that some people died after being rescued.
Dozens of people have been injured, according to reports, and a rescue operation is underway.
Gujarat Home Minister Harsh Sanghavi said the tragedy happened around 6:30 p.m. local time on Sunday when 150 people were on the bridge.
According to witnesses, there could have been up to 500 people on the bridge at that time.
The 230 meter bridge was built in the 19th century, during British rule. It reopened to the public this week, after a six-month renovation. It is believed that the structure was unable to support the weight of the large number of people walking on it.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed the tragedy with senior Gujarat officials.
“Relief and rescue operations are in full swing and all necessary assistance is being provided to those affected,” Modi said.
PM @Narendra Modi talked to Gujarat CM @Bhupendrapbjp and other officials regarding the Morbi accident. He called for the urgent mobilization of teams for rescue operations. He asked that the situation be closely and continuously monitored and provide all possible assistance to those affected.
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) October 30, 2022
India’s President Draupadi Murmu has expressed his condolences to all those affected, saying the Morbi tragedy has left him “concerned.”
“Relief and rescue efforts will bring relief to the victims,” the president said on her official Twitter account, which is managed by her office.
DETAILS TO FOLLOW
You can share this story on social media: