USA News

huffpost – ‘Unprecedented’: Federal officials say hundreds of Trump rioters can expect knock on door

Federal officials sent a strong, albeit delayed, message to the public on Tuesday about Trump’s inspired attack on the U.S. Capitol, announcing that hundreds of cases would be brought against insurgents, part of a violent mob who killed a policeman.

Michael Sherwin, acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, told a news briefing that the U.S. Capitol was essentially a crime scene and the FBI was working around the clock to hunt down the hundreds, if not thousands, of Trump supporters who committed crimes and were allowed to leave the building.

“The scope and magnitude of this is unprecedented, not only in FBI history, but possibly in DOJ history,” Sherwin said.

Sherwin said more than 170 cases at issue had already been opened and the number of charges would “geometrically increase.”

“The spectrum of criminal behavior is truly… unmatched in any type of scenario we’ve seen in the FBI or the DOJ,” Sherwin said. “We are looking at everything from simple intrusion and theft of mail, to the theft of digital devices inside the Capitol, to assaults on a local agent, federal agents both outside. and inside the Capitol, to the theft of potential national security information, including felony murder. Only the range of cases and criminal behavior that we examine is truly mind-boggling. “


Shay Horse / NurPhoto via Getty Images

Trump supporters march through the east side of the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021 in Washington, DC

Steven D’Antuono of the FBI’s Washington Field Office encouraged everyone who participated in the Capitol Riot to come forward and provide information about their participation, as he said others had.

“Even if you have left DC, officers from our local offices will knock on your door if we find out that you were part of the criminal activity on Capitol Hill,” he said.

.

Source link

Back to top button